Shuts down and leaks very black oil? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Shuts down and leaks very black oil?

Hi all,
I'm looking at possibly buying 1993 Ford F-350 XLT DUALLY with a 7.3L V8 FI Turbo. The owner said it needs engine work and I would like to know if any of you would have an idea as to what the problem might be before I buy it?

The info on the engine is:
Engine: 7.3L V8 FI Turbo
Mileage: 134,790 miles

Here's what he writes about the engine:
"This truck will run but after a few miles it will shut down and leak very black oil out."

Is it possible that in injector pump seal failed and the engine block is filling up with diesel?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydesdale View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking at possibly buying 1993 Ford F-350 XLT DUALLY with a 7.3L V8 FI Turbo. The owner said it needs engine work and I would like to know if any of you would have an idea as to what the problem might be before I buy it?

The info on the engine is:
Engine: 7.3L V8 FI Turbo
Mileage: 134,790 miles

Here's what he writes about the engine:
"This truck will run but after a few miles it will shut down and leak very black oil out."

Is it possible that in injector pump seal failed and the engine block is filling up with diesel?

Thanks in advance.

Its kind of hard to say, thats a pretty broad description of whats wrong. It would help if he told you where exactly the black oil was coming from.

The IP sits on top of the engine, it isnt inside of it, except for the gear drive area. But I dont think fuel would be able to make its way down there.

Try to get a better description from him.

And if fuel is getting into the engine and driving oil out, I wouldnt go for it. If he that was the case, and it was actually causing the truck to shut off, I would suspect that the main bearings, and for that matter all the bearings in the engine would be damaged.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM

Ok, got some more info; he wasn't returning my e-mail so I called him.

He said that They drove the truck for a few miles and the engine died. The fuel filled the block in with the oil. They had to drain the oil/diesel and refilled it with new oil. He took it to a garage and they installed new injectors & a new turbo injector pump. They drove it for 20 miles and it did the same thing again. He said during the 20 mile drive, the engine was kind of gutless.

You think maybe the valves are leaking? I wish I knew what the piston compression are at but I'm 900 miles away from this truck.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Ok, got some more info; he wasn't returning my e-mail so I called him.

He said that They drove the truck for a few miles and the engine died. The fuel filled the block in with the oil. They had to drain the oil/diesel and refilled it with new oil. He took it to a garage and they installed new injectors & a new turbo injector pump. They drove it for 20 miles and it did the same thing again. He said during the 20 mile drive, the engine was kind of gutless.

You think maybe the valves are leaking? I wish I knew what the piston compression are at but I'm 900 miles away from this truck.
It could be the lift pump messing up somehow and letting fuel into the block.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds like a lift pump they mount on the side of the block aand the diaphrams go bad. causing fuel to enter the crank case.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:36 AM

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate all you've told me. I will buy the truck and after I do, I'll post pictures of it to show you all how nice it is and I'll even tell you how much I'll have paid.

I've changed those pumps before; easy to do.

Today, I have to source a trailer to haul it back 900 miles home.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
You guys have no idea how much I appreciate all you've told me. I will buy the truck and after I do, I'll post pictures of it to show you all how nice it is and I'll even tell you how much I'll have paid.

I've changed those pumps before; easy to do.

Today, I have to source a trailer to haul it back 900 miles home.
Right on man, get a trailer and go get that thing, we want pics
Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 AM

I'm trying to track down a trailer to haul this crew cab dually but I'm not sure how to figure out the CURB weight of the truck? All I know is the GRWR is 10,000 lbs, front GAWR is 4,200 and back GAWR is 7,400 so how do I figure out the Curb weight?

Again, thank you.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 PM

damn it , I lost it by a second or so. My bid came in @ $3,000. at the last 5 sec and someone else did too at 4 seconds or less. Here's the truck >>
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190229608083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009
I wanted it bad.... o well; the search continues.

At least I've learned something from you guys. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.