Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

93 turbo-diesel, history of starter fluid

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  james.mcmurtry 
#1 ·
Have a 93 turbo 7.3 with history of having starter fluid as a starter helper. can someone make me smart on the problem and fix?

#2 ·
A little more info--am trying to get truck most recently used by my son up and running reliably for my farm, and have found a shot of starter spray has been needed during my efforts.
Have read on previous posts about starting issues about not using spray. Would like a refressher on why and, if it has happened, how to correct.

Thanks.

#3 ·
An IDI will start reliably with the glow plug system operating correctly, a good starter, batteries, injection pump, and injectors. Either is very hard on diesels that have a glow plug system. IF you want to use either(not recommended) disable the glow plug system.

#4 ·
Gonna try fuel pump

Was thinking about it over the weekend, now suspect a bad check valve on external fuel pump. Starting spray (small amount) gets engine started, then is good for rest of day.
Need for ether only occurs a day or two later--believe fuel drains back to tank from pump during that downtime.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.