Now What? '94 Stock F250, what should I do for her? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Now What? '94 Stock F250, what should I do for her?

Hello and Good Morning Forum,

I Bought this 1994 F250 Pre PSD, IDI 7.3L, all Stock truck with 156,000 miles on her, last October. She had some problems, not major, but some - and due to low $$$ in pocket - she sat for awhile until I was able to get her to a driving condition.

I replaced brakes all around, wheel bearings, 2 new batteries and finally glow plugs. Once this was all done, she was now close to becoming a driver.

The weekend before last, I changed Motor oil & filter. Came out Black!!
Next day, changed ATF. Dropped pan and also emptied TC. New filter and NAPA Premium DEX/MercIII, with NAPA Trans Kit. Side note: Fluid not too bad, didn't smell bad, but it was not fresh either.
Found a valve body bolt stuck to the magnet. Found the hole & put it back. No big deal, I hope?

Last Wednesday the O/D Off lite started blinking and I think I have a slipping T/C.
Pulled the code 62 in memory. Not a Hard current code.
So, I Need to baby her for awhile to once again pad my pockets with $$$.
I think I am going to tackle a rebuild myself. Will consult with forum later as I begin to near this project.

Now, to topic of this Thread: What minimal mod's can or should, I do to this truck to bring her up from stock that will greatly help her? I think I probably should get some Gauges? Which ones. Same as most (I put on my '96 EGT, Trans Temp & Boost).

What have some of you done to & for your IDI?

Would truly appreciate your opinions, experiences and valued assistance?

Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lift Kit??? 1994 idi F250 Turbo

Hi, I guess this may be a Bump???

It seems that no one has an idea or opinion to share or help a newbie with a completely stock rig, on what I can do for my 1994? What is the most common for or maybe absolutely a "Must" for a 7.3L truck.
If there is such a thing as Must?

Anyway, with lots of reading, and just guess work, since I have no where to turn but the forum (where no answers - huh )
I am going to start with opening the airways. I am going to replace the cold air intake. Already ordered it, just need to find time to install it now.
I would like to attempt to get better fuel economy to start with. I am not a "Hot Rodder", so major performance to put HP and Torque to the ground is not really what I am after, but if I do need to pass the occasional vehicle in my way, that ability wouldn't hurt!

Anyway, I now want to change out my stock steel wheels that have a "Fancy" cover to ones that are slightly bigger. I have an opportunity to get a great deal from someone who is getting rid of their rig that has some nice wheels & tires.

I think that I will not have the clearance for them so, I have been looking to find a moderate "Lift Kit" to accommodate the larger wheel. I can't find anything that will work on any of the sites. Each time I put in more & more details about the rig, the large list of kits, quickly disappears from which to choose. And a couple sites, like Summit Racing, gave me (at the end of the detail process) 2 choices for "Body" lift. Then when reading the install details - I find:
"Will not fit trucks with Diesel engines". Sheeeesh

So, I am asking again hoping to find an answer: What is available for this truck to lift it moderately at 2-3 inches. I know after looking at lots of pics of some real beauty's on the ORG - that this is possible? What have you guys used? I presume that since there is no "Cookie cutter kit w/easy install and go type kit - some modification may be needed? And is there a difference of "Importance or Preference" of a lift kit - body vs. suspension?

I am new to all of this and am trying to learn as I go. The other truck in my sig, was that way when I bought it, except for gauges, which I installed.

So, thanks again and will appreciate all feedback!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2004strokerJeremy
The pre psd is a raw powerhouse. My dad has a 94 f350 and it's a beast. Since it's a mechanical injected and has no turbo the only thing a chip will control is the slip-o-matic. The 7.3idi is the holy grail of diesels. If the O/D light is flashing and it can decide what gear to stay in, rip it out and go with the 5 speed or a 6 speed(if you can find one) 5 just isn't enough gears with our f350. You can get cold air intakes fairly cheap and replacing the injectors and injector pump probably wouldn't be a bad idea. We got ours pretty cheap from Pensacola diesel, great customer service too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Personally I prefer a suspension lift both of my trucks had a 4" lift in them...as far as mods for the idi all i have done is turn up my pump a little and put an aftermarket downpipe on it my od light flashes when i let off the accelerator and the rpm drops same time the tach stops working pretty sure its the rpm sensor causing it all...dont get me wrong I would prefer a 5 speed but I got my truck with a reman trans in it already so no point in wasting money till I have to....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.