Trying to get spare motor to stay running - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trying to get spare motor to stay running

I recently bought a 7.3 idi engine with a 5 speed bolted to it for 300$. All I wanted was the transmission, but the guy didn't want to sell it seperately and this price was already a steal for the transmission, flywheel, clutch, and slave cylinder. So needless to say I bought the engine too. It has a ford reman sticker on the side of the engine so it may not have many miles on it. I am trying to get the engine running and check the condition of it so I can sell it. I have two of these diesel trucks and a spare motor would be nice, but I need cash and room in my shop more than a spare motor.

This is what the engine is doing:
Engine spins over, gets fuel to all 8 injectors. Engine starts and dies almost immediately. If you hold the throttle open it will run for a little longer.(maybe a maximum of 2 seconds)

This is how the engine is set up (this is probably where the problem is):
1.)The fuel filter base has been removed. 2.) The supply tube going to the center of the back of the injection pump has been cut and has a rubber hose clamped to it going to a fuel can. 3.) The fuel lift pump has been eliminated(no fuel lines going through it) 4.) The return line on the right side of the engine(passenger side if it was in truck) has a screw in it so it will not leak. 5.) The return lines on the back of the motor are connected with a "t" and have another hose going into the fuel can.
I have the positive cable on the starter going to batter positive post. The negative cable on the starter going to batter negative post. There are two terminals on top of the injection pump. I was not sure which was the shutoff and they both clicked with a jumper wire from battery positive, so I connected a jumper wire to both of them coming from the batter positive post.......

I am thinking my problem lies in the lift pump not being connected, and possibly no restriction on the return lines(return on filter base plugged off) Anyone have any ideas what I should to to get it to stay running??? I appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I found a fitting that would fit the fuel lift pump and installed it into the lift pump. I connected an electric pump to the fuel can. I put an inline filter on the line coming out of the electric pump. I connected that line to the lift pump inlet. I connected the lift pump outlet to the injection pump inlet. It still would not stay running. I slightly held the throttle open and it stayed running. I guess someone adjusted the throttle stop screw and got it out of wack. Runs good. I took a video to post with my for sale ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.