overdrive light flashing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
overdrive light flashing

The other day on the interstate the tachometer started to vibrate a little and drop some but I did not notice any loss of power and then the overdrive light started to flash and will not stop even after shuting down and restarting.
I have noticed a slight difference in shifting (not as smooth) and when parked and running I tried unplugging the tachometer sensor and the OD light stops flashing but when I drive about 100 feet with it unplugged the OD light began to flash again.
Could the tach sensor be bad?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 03:29 PM

Is the ABS light on too? When the OD off light flashes, that means the transmission is in "Limp mode". The computer is not getting a signal from one of the sensors (usually the tach sensor or ABS sensor), so it goes into limp mode which firms up the shifts quite a bit so as not to cause harm to the transmission. Since you noticed some weird tach symptoms, I would say the tach sensor is bad. In my case, the ABS light was on too and that meant the ABS sensor on the rear axle was bad. $12 later, problem solved.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to HillBillyDelux555
Youve prob thrown a code, go somewhere and have them look to see what is says, then fix it....
Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

when mine did the same thing at 120K i just drove it, i knew what the code would be, a good friend of mine is a ford mechanic at the dealer and he said drive it, itll go out either way and well i got to 205K b4 i replaced it and the trans had some left at 205K too
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine has done that once and it shifted from 3 to 4 at a low rpm when it should have stayed in 4th. it done that till i shut her down then everything was fine. not trying to jack the thread just had a similar thing happen and have not had an answer for it
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Ive got almost the same symtoms. Where is the RPM sensor located? Did you get yours fixed?

-Chad
Old 05-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Try a new TPS

I am not sure if I solved the problem but it has been driving alot better. I bought a Throttle Postion Sensor from Autozone for $28. I hooked it up just like the old one and I had to find the right postion where the O/D light didn't blink. The light has stopped blinking and it shifts much easier although I am not sure at what RPM it shoud be shifting at, right now it is around 2000.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you tried the abs sensor on the rear end??? I have had a few of these with the little flasher and it has always been the abs sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.