Need help with Idler pulley

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tknomaj 
#1 ·
My Idler Pulley Keeps Going OUt...

I need suggestions for an upgrade...

#2 ·
Moved it for ya:thumb:

#3 ·
Define: idler pulley keeps going out. Is it the same one that's been on the truck? Or does it "keep going out" when you replace it?:dunno:

#5 ·
I replaced the pulley and the tension was muuch tighter than before...
Ran good for a week then i randomly heard a loud screeching...like a bearing...Looked at the belt and it had been chewed up...The belt width all the way around was half its orig width... Dunno where to go from here
Did you mount the tensioner in the correct position? And did you make sure you tightened the torq bolt that holds the tensioner. Check that bolt and make sure you didn't cross thread it. Mounting those tensioners correctly really makes or breaks them. Make sure all of your other pulleys are in good shape. Make sure your idler pulley isn't scalloped or seized. Do you have A/C, or the A/C blank? Check to see if your have a seized A/C clutch or shot bearings. If you have the blank, make sure the arm it mounts on is ok & check the condition of the pulley itself. The only other things I can think of is either the belt was installed incorrectly or when you installed it, the belt wasn't resting completely over the pulley you laid it over. Sometimes those belts need a tiny bit of overhang & when you go to start it up, it's sudden death. Get a new belt & throw it on. Make sure the belt is sitting square over or under the pulleys completely with no overhang. Monitor it for about 5-10mins. without revving it. If you think it's ok, close the hood & test 'er out:thumb:!

#6 ·
make sure your tensioner isn't seized if it's seizing the belt will walk and likely fall off

#7 ·
idler problem

ford has changed the size of the idler pulley and good year has follwed suit with ford with new size pulley you need 40601120 belt which is 20mm longer to bring tensioner to proper position and belt not over tensioned now that you have run your tensioner that tight i would replace it due to spring damage and will not track belt properly foun this out just in last month installing new crate motor in my truck and replaced idlerand found this out :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.