JUST PURCHASED!!! Running Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy JUST PURCHASED!!! Running Problems

New to forum, New to Diesels, Fairly New to trucks.

I Just purchased a 92 F-250 7.3 Diesel with an aftermarket Banks Turbo setup?
SUPPOSIDLY, this truck runs 10-15 Minutes then dies. Let it sit for 5-10 Minutes, and it fires right back up. It'll run 10-15 minutes and die again, and start the whole cycle over again.

I have NOT Taken possession of this truck as of yet, so I can't say for sure.
We'll be going to get it within the week. But, I'd like some Ideas on what you guys think might be the problem.

I'm an auto Mechanic, so I'm not a complete Idiot, but I have NO CLUE as to Diesel Stuff, So I'm gonna be learning on this Truck.

My Dad is a Member here, and says you guys have the right answers, so I'm asking. Hopefully this truck will teach me enough to contribute to the forums here shortly.

Thanks in advance
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh NOOOO, No Ideas??? Someplace for me to start?

We went to Iowa to get the truck Yesterday, it does in fact fire right up. But, not being licenced or insured, I didn't want to drive it anywhere. but it starts up, and seems to run great. Went to U-Haul to get a trailer to bring her home, and low and behold, the 92 is TOO LONG To fit on the trailer. Almost 2 feet too long. So we took the trailer back, did a LOT of debating, and left the truck there. We're gonna see if Someone around my area has an equipment trailer to use. My dad has a Car trailer, but it's only rated at 5000 LBS. Not too sure if we want to over load the trailer for 800 miles...

ANY How, talking to the guy I bought it from, he said He was driving it once (He's a Used car dealer, who took the truck in on trade), when the truck started to die 15 minutes after driving it, before it died, he flipped the tank selector, it kept running, but he didn't want to chance it, and brought it back to the shop with no further incidents. he said one of his employees drove it, and the same thing happened. He flipped tanks, it ran another 15 min, started to die, he flipped back to the original tank, it kept running, and he made it back to the shop....
what is used on the trucks to switch tanks? According to the gas guage, one is 3/4 full, the other is really close to full. No I don't trust the guages, but yesterday, we didn't have time, nor patients to do any further checking. It was 4 degrees there. We took some people to Chicago for a visit, and they were relying on us to be back at a certain time to bring them home too, so we couldn't "Diagnose", or attemp some other form to get the truck back to N.Y.... We're going to try to find a bigger trailer and go back Sunday to get it. If we can find a bigger trailer, I'm half tempted to try to drive it home, and play with that tank selector switch, and see just HOW Far it really will go, to see if THAT is the problem with the truck...

Sorry this is so long. Just trying to give you guys some insight to attemp to point me in the right direction to get my "NEW BABY" on the road. I'm ready to start Learning about Diesel Power.

Thanks for your time
Brian
Old 02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
Bump for ya Brian welcome to the .org bud!! cant help ya for this one
Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Man that one is kind of wierd. I don't know the type of fuel pump these things have but I would suspect that some thing is clogging the fuel line and when you switch tanks it works itself free.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Check the fuel pressure. You should have constant 3-5 psi. If it normally shuts off after 15 minutes while idling, let it run that long and watch the pressure. You could als try bypassing the selector valve. It is located on the frame rail near the front of the front tank. Maybe the valve is getting hung between tanks. I'm not even sure if that is possible, but It may be.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

good luck on getting it home, if you were close id give ya a hand. I know that a 92 is a far cry from a 97, but i had a similar experince with my truck like your does. It was a sensor that was getting to hot. Let me look in my mant records and ill let ya know what i find out
Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, Got truck home. Used dad's car hauler afterall. Only blew one tire on trailer in 800 miles.
Anyways, truck's here. I started it yesterday and drove it around the block 3 times (a block for me is 3 miles). No problems at all... but, being unlicenced, I didn't really want to push driving it, so I mainly let her sit and Idle.
She ran for about 5 hours with no issues. then I noticed it was loping quite a bit. I got in, reved it to 1000rpm, and it seemed fine. Let off the gas, and she died. Cranked, but wouldn't start. I flipped to the rear tank, and she started after several seconds of cranking. and ran great. about 5 min later, I flipped to the front tank. a few minutes later, that loping was back, I Reved it to 1000rpm, was fine, let off gas, and it died....
It was starting to get dark, so I called it quits.
She'll Idle for 5 hours at least... Once I get it Licenced, I'll start doing more experimenting. But until then, I'm reading up on these beasts. Wow, what a Lot to learn.
Thanks for all your inputs, and I'll let yall know what the prob was when she's fixed...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
its definatly fuel starvation. I would say check all fuel lines and pickups. Also check the fuel pressure at the motor and see what its got. let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.