EGT #'s on my '94! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT #'s on my '94!

I made a long trip(400 plus miles) pulling a good load with my '94 Factory Turbo Sat., first long trip since my upgrades( exhaust, air, and turned up pump). I thought I would have some more room to turn my pump up ( I don't have much smoke), but on the long hills my EGT's were creeping up to the 1250 degree mark toward the top. It pulled great!!!!!!! What a diff. the few upgrades I did made! So I guess I won't be turning it up any more unless some body has another trick to get them down lower! It actually pulled some hills faster than my '08!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Very Nice, thanks for posting the numbers. What are you seeing for normal operating temps...?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
That is awsome!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94OilBurner View Post
Very Nice, thanks for posting the numbers. What are you seeing for normal operating temps...?
Running 80mph on the flats it stays 800 to 900 degrees. It never got over 1250 degrees, seemed to be where it quit rising. I was pulling a 32' tandem dual flatbed, only had a couple thousand pounds on it, and had my welder hooked on behind that(before it came unhooked and rolled 10 times) it is a big diesel welder and a real heavy trailer, might wiegh 3500 plus. Empty with no trailer on the freeway it stays below 650 degrees easy! It really pulls good, I am amazed at the great low-end snap it has, stomp on it and it moves quick! I turned up the pump 1/2 turn, I get some black smoke, but not much. I am adding 200degrees to what my gauge is telling me, my probe is right behind the turbo, and I have always heard that it was 200 degrees off compared to a manifold location, if it is accurate there I only hit 1050 degrees, but I really don't know so I am not going to chance it. If anybody has any opinions on this let me know! One hill I went up I usually top out about 65 with my 6.4 hitting the bottom at 85, I ran out of diesel right at the bottom with the '94 and had to switch tanks real quick(what are the odds) and got down to 60 before it caught, when I hit the top I was going 62, gained 2mph where my 6.4 looses around 20mph. I wish I had not ran out of fuel so I could have got a better test. Tomorro I am going up some hills that I have records on every truck back to '98 with the same trailer I will be pulling tomarro, I will post some comparrisons tomarro night. If anybody has any tricks for lowering EGT's let me know!
Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Dont know any tricks, sorry..... Sounds like a real fine truck you got there.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
only way I know to get them egts down is to go with bigger exhaust
Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 AM

This truck has far exceeded my expectations, just bought it for a replacement while my '08 was in the body shop and I only paid $2500 for it. I am going to keep it forever! I have a 3'' down pipe(biggest one I could find for it) and a 3 1/2'' straight pipe. I wonder how much a 4'' or a 5'' would drop my EGT's? I am willing to try it, I like building exhausts, does anybody have any #'s on EGT's between a 3 1/2'' and a 4'' exhaust? I dropped my EGT's over 200 degrees with the 3 1/2 and the new air intake.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to 4everlearning
an intercooler would lower your egts also but that might be more then you want to spend on that truck. Then again maybe not.

Just plain better breathability is the way to go.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM

I have thought about an intercooler, how much do you think I could lower the EGT's?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Fletcher
I think water/meth injection would lower the EGT by 200 degrees. I pulled my trailer the last 2 weekends...7000 lbs, 7 lbs of boost at 70 mph, it ran at 700 degrees (alot of 7's). It was also about 7 degrees outside. My truck sure pulls beter than the old Dodge gasser.
Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.