Newbie 7.3 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie 7.3 no start

Help! Just bought my first diesel & it already won't start!

It is a 90 F250 7.3 with many miles not even sure how many times the speedo has rolled over maybe 307,000 miles??

It ran fine when it ran, it's cold here today but yesterday it was almost 30F & no start. It was plugged in & did start & run for about 2 seconds then nothing. Now it just cranks...until you run the batteries out that I did. It's on the charger right now while I'm writing this 10amp charge.

Not sure if it always did this but it does seem to cycle through the glow plugs after you first turn the key on, but after the light goes out it will make a clicking sound?? I don't know if this is norm or just something I'm noticing now that it won't start.

I am going to search the net for a bible for this thing, but was hoping someone could help me out...this morning.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Bamfster
All it takes is one or two bad glow plugs and the IDI won't start when its real cold out. The clicking is normal after it starts, its the glowplug relay cycling. The other biggie on these trucks are the batteries, they need to be fully charged and in good shape, it takes alot to crank these over. Check the HAYNES website, they have a very good manual for these trucks and it may be download-able from the net. It shows step by step how to check all the glowplugs, relay, ect.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

mabe its gelled did it sell awhile before u got it

Matt
Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Left it sit over night with the block heater plugged in & the charger at 2 amps on the batteries. Changed the fuel filter bleed the air out at the top, pumped the chit out of the accelator & it fired up.

I topped off both tanks & put in a shot glass full of some conditioner in each tank about a week ago. The previous owner left the conditioner in the cab for me...

Don't really know what happened yet other then it's colder then a well diggers arse outside, so

Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:49 PM

This is just a thought, you have the hold the throttle pedal down to the floor when you are starting a 7.3 when it's cold out or it won't start. And the clicking you hear after the wait light goes off is normal it's the "after glow"
cycle, it does this to cut down on cold start smoke and to make the engine smoother when first started. It should stop after about 30-45 sec
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the info on holding the pedal down. The previous owner only suggested that I push it down just to set the high idle? Wonder if they all require there own technique?

Also any idea how warm it has to get before I can stop plugging it in? Ya all don't plug em in year round do ya's?

I would like to drive this critter to work once in a while but am worried cause I have not found anywhere yet to plug it in there. I work 10 hour days & if its single digits degree F out kinda leaves me without the option of driving this to work, any ideas or feed back would be appreciated, please.

TIA,
Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 AM

I still have a '92 F-350 7.3 for my plow truck and I never plug it in. It should start down to 0 without being plugged in as long as all the glow plugs and battery's are good. All the IDI's needed to have the fuel pedal held to the floor for cold starting. There was a lable on the drivers side sun visor that
had the starting instructions that stated this but it's most likely long gone

A quick way to check the glow plugs is to take the wire off the top of the glow plug get a test light, hook the test light up to the + side of the battery and touch the probe tip of the test light to the tip of the golw plug (make sure you only touch the tip on the top of the glow plug with the probe on the test light or you will get a false reading) If the light lights up the plug is good
Did you try holding the pedal down when starting and did it work??
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 AM

Vipe5,

Yes it did start that day I had trouble but I was pumping the pedal as I cranked it. I have been able to start it since with it plugged in by just tapping the pedal down to set the cold idle.

Only had the trouble starting it once so far & it was below zero that day, & it had only been plugged in that cold morning for a few hours when it failed, I guess I'm a little gun shy now, keeping it plugged in all the time.

I really like the the truck just still learning my way around it...1st diesel ever.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Banned

You may want to consider using synthetic engine oil, it costs more, but you need to figure what it costs you if you can't make it to work (loss of pay vs cost of synthetic oil). Synthetic will let your motor spin over (faster) when starting in cold weather.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Bamfster
Once you get all the bugs worked out with the GP system the IDI should fire up relatively easy down to zero deg. I don't plug mine in unless it gets to the 20's or lower, and it fires up within 15 to 20 sec of cranking. What I have found on these truck is that if the wait to start light seems to not stay on very long, that is usually and indicator of bad glow plugs. I usually have to replace 1 or 2 GPs every fall...checking the GPs is just part of getting the truck ready for winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.