Cheap OEM Garrett.. Is it worth it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheap OEM Garrett.. Is it worth it?

Hello Everyone,

I found a really cheap turbo set up pulled off of one of the late model IDI with factory installed Garrett turbos. Would it be worth it to install it on my N/A 7.3L IDI? How do they stack up to aftermarket turbo kits? Also, it looks like a few things are missing. Would it be easy to find parts?

-Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

To my understanding, and I may be wrong, the factory turbo IDI's turbo system is actually an ATS system. ATS had a hand in the design and they look a lot alike and the intake filters are the same. So, any parts you are missing, you should be able to get from ATS cheaper than Ford. I would check with ATS to make sure you will be able to get what you need before putting up the cash.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did Garrett ever make turbo kits for the 7.3L IDI? Thats what the guy said it was... I just assumed it was an OEM Turbo set-up
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Garrett is just the turbo MFG. The rest of the kit is made by someone else. The Banks, ATS, and Ford systems probably use a Garrett turbo. And most likely, they all use the same one.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ha! Good to know. So what is the difference in all these systems, besides the exhaust? Nothing?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I'm not sure about the Banks system, but the ATS and Ford system is basically identical. The Banks system is probably a little different, but it all works the same. Hypermax also makes a kit for the IDI. They are plumbed about the same way, and the turbos sit in about the same place. If I had an IDI, I would rather have the ATS/Ford system so I know I could get parts down the road.

I found this on ATS's web site.

1983 to 1994.5 Ford 6.9 and 7.3L Diesel Turbo Kit
The ATS Aurora 2000 Wastegated Turbo System has been the premier turbo charger system chosen by the professionals for over 15 years now. Ford motor company chose ATS in 1994 for a reason, Ford wanted the best and that's what they got. In 1994 Ford installed the ATS turbo kit on every Powerstroke engine produced from the factory. The ATS turbo kit uses a large bypass valve that is engineered to accommodate the engines exhaust gas volume allowing for maximum turbo boost with out the concern of over boosting the high compression engine. By using a large bypass valve and a large final exhaust expansion chamber we maintain very low exhaust backpressure. This low backpressure results in increased combustion efficiency. Combined with recommended fuel settings a 50% increase in rear wheel horsepower can be achieved. Recently the ATS turbo system has been redesigned to utilize the Aurora 2000 turbo charger that has become so popular in the demanding turbo Diesel market. There is no other turbo kit that delivers the rapid response and power that the Aurora 2000 offers.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just bought a '94 Factory IDI turbo with 289,000 miles on it. Derrick is right, as proved by the ATS web site quote he just posted, exactly the same as an ATS. I have owned several IDI non turbos, 3- 7.3 Powerstrokes, 2- 6.0 powerstrokes, and 1- 6.4 Powerstroke, and I can honestly say I am really impressed with this turbo set-up!!! It has geat power, good milage and a guy can work on it himself with cheap upgrades that really make a huge difference!! If you get it you really need to put a better downpipe on it, the smashed one that came on them is terrible. I put a better down pipe and a 3 1/2'' straight pipe on it and my EGTs went down over 200 degrees!! Mine stock would pull my 40' flatbed within 5-10mph on the hills of what my 6.4 can do it with 350hp.. I bet now that I upgraded everything it may pull with my 6.4!!! I have never enjoyed any of my diesels any more than I have this one. I say buy it and slap that sucker on your engine!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds awesome! I'm glad to hear it because I really wanted a turbo, but couldn't justify paying more for a kit than the truck! I also hate the "computers are the answer to performance" mentality propounded by Detroit these days. It's nice to know that good old mechanical technology still has merit.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea I only have about $300 in every thing I have done!! If I had done this much to a newer motor I would easily have over $1000 in it. Turning up the pump and advancing the timing(same thing a chip or programer do) is free on these! Have fun! Let me know if I can help!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, are there tech articles on turning fuel pump up or advancing timing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.