Sidewinder turbo kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jwindbigler
Sidewinder turbo kit

I am in the middle of rebuilding my 89 F250, and I wanted to know if I needed to lower the CR to run higher boost like normal cars. I plan on boring out the cylinders .030" over, and I wanted to buy the sidewinder turbo kit, put on a custom innercooler and raise the boost a little bit more for better hauling capability. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 07:38 AM

dont know what good it is to you? but there is an 85 with a 90's 7.3 diesel with the sidewinder already on it for sale in colorado. not sure where you are at tho.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:34 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I think the CR on the IDI is around 20:1. The sidewinder is designed to run with that ratio. If you want more pressure out of it, you need to talk to Banks to see if the turbo will supply it. If you want high boost numbers, I would lower the CR, but you made need a bigger turbo and a modified injector pump to supply enough fuel to make the combo work.

Check with these guys, they may be able to help.IDI Products
Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 PM

Do you know if you can innercool it though?? Also is there anything that I would have to do to tune it after I put on the turbo, or is it just bolt and go?

I still am pretty new to the diesel world, so I just want to make sure that I do things right. Thanks for the advice...and no, I really dont have a use for another truck with one already in it. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:38 PM

You can try Hypermax -Power Stroke Diesel Performance Ford Diesel Power, 5"exhaust, power module, power chip, injectors, intercoolers, turbochargers
Old 12-16-2007, 04:42 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
Do you know if you can innercool it though?? Also is there anything that I would have to do to tune it after I put on the turbo, or is it just bolt and go?

I still am pretty new to the diesel world, so I just want to make sure that I do things right. Thanks for the advice...and no, I really dont have a use for another truck with one already in it. Thanks.
An intercooler would be great. All you have to do is bolt everything on. You don't have to tune the engine like a gasser. The diesel will love the extra air, and you will be able to add more fuel for more power. Just make sure the intake and exhaust are adequate.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Make sure intake and exhaust are adequate...what exactly do you mean by that?? Do you mean that I need to have a good exhaust system to handle the intake system?? Make sure that I dont put in too much air? Just not really sure what you mean.

How does the hypermax turbo compare with the likes of the banks turbo?? Do you get the same or about the same power and fuel economy?

Here's another question...if and when I do innercool it, should I expect to see a raise in fuel economy??
Old 12-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Bamfster
I have the Banks kit on my '94 IDI. It is a very complete and easy to install kit. With the banks kit, you are not able to intercool it due to the cast housing on the turbo. The techs at Banks claim it does not need an intercooler but I don't know if I agree with that. I don't know anyone who has the Hypermax on a truck so I can't comment about that product. The Banks turbo does make good power, although there are some tweaks that need to be done to really turn the wick up. In regards to the intake and exhaust, both need to be very free flowing. The intake air should be as dense/cool as possible. An engine is nothing more than an air pump, the more air you can get in and out of it, the more power you will make. My truck with the Banks kit would outrun my friend's '97 PSD when it was stock. He upgraded his turbo, chip, ect., and I added propane and I can still keep up with him. There is alot of potential in the old IDI trucks.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM

I understood how the engine is basically an air pump...breathes the air in and spits it back out. I just wasnt really sure what he was saying.

I definately want to innercool it. It just doesnt make sense to me not to. I guess that I will have to be the first guy that you know with the hypermax kit. Assuming that it will allow for an innercooler. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 PM

go to Hypermax -Power Stroke Diesel Performance Ford Diesel Power, 5"exhaust, power module, power chip, injectors, intercoolers, turbochargers and they sell the intercooler and turbo turbo is 1800 and the intercooler is around 1500 im buy them in about 2 months for mine to so let me know how they do on yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.