dunno? still won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dunno? still won't start

so every glowplug, the relay, and the controller has been replaced and my truck still won't start unless its plugged in. I have done the fuel filter and i am out of ideas on whats wrong. Any ideas? thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Is this problem only when it's really cold 25 or less, and when it starts while it's plugged in does it smoke and run rough at first? The last time I had this problem was with a 92, it was the cold start advance in the injection pump wasn't working. Also how long have you had it? If you haven't had it in the cold weather before you have to hold the throttle to the floor while you crank the engine when it get cold out. In the warm weather thay will just start up without holding down on the throttle
Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well, it doesnt like starting in the garage either, where its like 50, but during the summer it has been working fine so i dunno. I have had it since summer. Playing with the throttle doesnt seem to help much, but as soon as it starts running on a few cylinders i keep some gas into it to keep it going.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is that cold start advance thing seperate? or would i need a whole new pump? i don't really want to spend much more money into this truck
Old 12-09-2007, 05:32 PM

The cold start advance is in the pump itself, I'd just change out the pump. I find that old ambulance's in the junk yard are a good sorce for pumps. And if you pump the throttle while trying to sart I can make it harder to start, just hold it down. Also if the engine isn't cranking at 100 rpm's it wont fire (the heat from compression will be lost to the cold engine before the fuel has a chance to fire) I would look into the batteries, connections, starter, ect before the pump. When you plug it in the oil it thinner so it will crank faster & the engine itself will be warmer so there will be less heat lost to the cold metel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.