WD-40, Starting? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WD-40, Starting?

As it gets colder, my truck starts slower and slower, sometimes, it will crank slowly and fire up after a few seconds once it gets going, even if its 30 degrees, but some days it will crank for 5-7ish second once it gets going, and fire much later than i expect it to. Does anyone have any ideas why the engine will take longer to fire up sometimes? The colder it is, the slower my old diesel will start, but the random "harder" starts can happen when its like 45 degrees? Anways, my real question is, how do you use WD-40 to start an engine that won't start? I know one of these days its going to be to much for it, and it wont fire up. Do you spray some into the intake tube after you take off the filter cover? Do you crank it while spraying? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i am not sure. Thanks guys.

If it helps to diagnose the starting issues, i have recently changed the fuel filter, ran injector cleaner, and have new oil in it (15w-40 and i am considering putting 10w-30 in for the winter).

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Sounds like it could be a glow plug relay or glow plug problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

u definately have a glow plug/relay problem.....get that fixed and it should fire right up for you after the wait to start light goes out..
Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
pull the lid off the air cleaner spray away then crank her up... if you have 2 people spray while cranking that works the best.. we do this for when people run out of diesel in the older trucks to help get them running
Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought that at first, and since when i bought the truck i had no idea when the last time the glow plugs were changed, i replaced 6 our of 8 (they all tested fine, and the other two were impossible to get to becasue of the fuel line). They cycle for, say 10 seconds, more when its colder, what are signs that my relay is the culprit?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is the best way to test the glowplugs? I have heard that something can go wrong with something and fry new glowplugs. Is this possible?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
glow plugs bad or the relay for them is bad likely heres the way to check them...

Check each of the glow plug resistance from its terminal to ground with an ohmmeter--the glow plugs should be less than 2 ohms when cold. Another way to test the glow plugs is with a test light (not a LED/circuit tester). Connect the alligator clip to the positive battery terminal and touch the probe to each (unplugged) glow plug terminal. The test lamp will light brightly if the glow plug is good.
Even one open glow plug can shorten the controller on time sufficiently to affect starting.
Next connect the glow plug harness and check for voltage at the relay "hot" terminal with the key off, then check for a voltage drop at the glow plug terminals (86 and earlier) or at the controller/relay "hot" terminal (87 and up) with the relay energized.
If the voltage is low or drops below 10 volts with the relay energized, check for loose connections at the glow plug relay, starter relay or engine harness connector, or bad fuse link(s). Also check for voltage at each glow plug terminal with the relay energized
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the advise guys, i have a new weekend project, dig into the glowplugs. Thanks Now just for my peace of mind, lets say my glow plugs arent cycling fully, and thats causing the starts, theroeticly (sp) it should start after cranking for a couple seconds, and this time will get longer and longer the colder it is? Making a big assumtion that the glow plugs are the issue, what point will it not start?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 PM

WD-40 ing is for trucks that run out of fuel not really for cold starts.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

What year is your truck and how many miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.