looking for some advise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 08:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for some advise

i was given two work trucks. 89 f350 ext cab 7.3 4-speed 4x4 and a 94 f350 reg cab 351ci automatic 2wd. the 89 has a rotted frame and cab but runs like a champ. the 94 has a nice body/frame with a blown tranny. ideally i would put the 89 7.3 & 4-speed and axles in the 94. will the front leaf springs off the 89 fit onto the 94 2wd frame? i would like to know if anyone has attemped this and any help would be appriecated. thanks, -joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
wow ... well, sounds like a job and I have no clue as to your question, but here's a bump to the top for ya!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yes, the springs are inner changeable between the gas and IDI Diesel, but always put a tape on everything twice befour you do anything. That will be a nice swap. Personally I wouldn't use the 4-speed, I'd get a ZF 5-speed.

Last edited by TEXCRAWLER; 10-19-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
but where the frames different between the years??
Old 10-20-2007, 07:12 AM

that is what i'm trying to find out. are the frames interchangable? the 2wd has the front coil spring suspension and to install the leafs will holes have to be drilled out or are they factory drilled and waiting for me? just trying to minimize the suprise factor once i get started.

tex- what did the zf 5-speed come in and can i use my existing t-case with it? if not what other parts do i need to use the 5-speed? i would prefer the extra gear for fuel economy.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I would four link the front, using coil springs and shocks. This would take away the need to mount up the leaf springs. If you decide to use the leaf springs make sure they are square to the frame. This way you won't have tracking problems going down the road. Now the other thing I would be concerned with is driveshafts. Your 89 is an extended cab but is it long box or short box. Your 94 is regular cab but is it long box or short box. Most likely your going to need driveshafts made.

Being you have all the parts right there I would go for it. Your going to most likely need to move the engine mounts as well. But that is ok because you have the stock ones from the 89. You are also most likely going to have to make or modify the corssmember that supports the transmission. Because your going from a 2wd to 4wd as well as your cab bed configuration is different so most likely the corssmember at the least is going to need to be relocated.

BUt being you have the parts donor truck on hand I would go for it. Don't expect this to be over the weekend project. Most likely the shortest time I would plan for this project would be 1 month minimum.

When I mean make sure you square everything up to the frame that is probablly the most important thing when doing what you are planning on doing. Because if it is not square your going to have tracking problems, lining up the driveshafts will be difficult, getting everything mounted will be difficult too.

If it was me doing this I would remove the body of the 94 so you have the complete frame there to work on with out having anything obstructing you.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:29 PM

i was going to keep the leafs simply because they are there and free.

both of the trucks are 8ft beds so i should be ok with the front driveshaft but would have to have the rear shorted.

as far as the time frame for this, i was planning on a comfortable 6 weeks; if i was single with no kid, about 2 1/2 weeks

no one knows if the 4wd leaf mounting holes are pre-drilled in the 2wd coil frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.