IDI to 12v Cummins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDI to 12v Cummins

t so I know there has been hundreds and hundreds of these 12v swaps into our OBS trucks. I have both trucks sitting my shop right now waiting to be ripped apart, just waiting for my vacation to start next month so I can get going on this project.

I am going to be doing a complete body off resto on my ford and pretty much parting out the dodge.

Truck 1:

1992 F250 Custom IDI 5speed with 3.55 gears Truck has 340,000+
It has a rebuilt 7.3 diesel that currently has about 180,000 miles and has about 8lbs of oil pressure when cold. I have been running very thick oil in it with a lucas additive just to get the 8 lbs. Ever since it was rebuilt it has had **** for oil pressure, im just going to swap it out before it blows up.

This truck has a Banks sidewinder kit on it with the 3 inch exhaust, it does not have an intercooler though. It has been plowed with since it had 50,000 on it and has been pretty much bullet proof. When I am done with the swap that turbo kit will be for sale but just want to make sure I dont need any parts from it for some crazy reason.

My question with this truck:
The transmission is pretty abused, it was rebuilt once before we bought the truck and has a lot of slop when in gear. It also grinds pretty bad when shifting into 3rd unless you match rpms pretty close. I know that is simply synchros but dont want to waste my time.

Should I rebuild the transmission or with it already having one rebuild should I toss it and buy a remanned one or one out of junk yard? If I do buy a different transmission do I have to use an idi trans or will a zf5 out of a powerstroke work with my transfer case. Im guessing it will but just want some clarification from someone who has been there.

Truck 2:

The truck I am swapping the motor from is a 97 dodge 2500 with the CTD. It has been modified slightly, such as there is an electric fan setup on it now, it has a BHAF (DIY intake for the ford guys) an adjust afc housing and star wheel. and some stuff that I probably dont know about yet.

I will be doing a complete write up on this swap and the build process of the truck, as when I do the truck it will get a lot of things that weren't there originally. Such as A/C put in, power locks and windows, rear disc brake conversion, 6bt engine, intercooler (7.3), stainless vent shutters, and a bunch of other things. It should be a lot of fun to do.

Time frame is to have this truck completely done and painted for when the salt is finally off of the roads.

Any input or help along the way will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Awesome!!! I want to put a Cummings in my 2003 f250. I can use your write up to help with my swap. Still deciding what all I need for the swap. Any help is great.how much is it costing you??
Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to 95_Powerstroke
Any updates? I have been looking into this too for an IDI.

A ZF5 speed out of a Powerstroke should work just fine, or another IDI. I believe they are the same. Sounds like a cool build!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85pickup4x4 View Post
Awesome!!! I want to put a Cummings in my 2003 f250. I can use your write up to help with my swap. Still deciding what all I need for the swap. Any help is great.how much is it costing you??
you've got a 6.0L! you should already be set.. maybe that yota could use a cummins.. get some bigger balls in it and bring it to the diesel world! just messing around.. this should be an interesting thread
Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the idi and cummins utilize a 3 wire hook up lol, both use injection pumps, and when your done with your swap i would love to take that turbo kit off your hands for my IDI lol, would do a cummins swap but i cant find the motor or a dodge with the motor in it already cheap enough, good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.