94 E350 Hard start when warm? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 E350 Hard start when warm?

I just got a used E350

Replaced the Glow Plug Relay and timer from Advanced auto parts. I think I have it wired correctly..

Cold it starts great. Wait to start light comes on. goes out. Relay still clicks a few times. Turn the key and it starts on the first revolution. no problem

Drove 15 min. turned it off. Wait 20 seconds and it starts right up..

But if it sits maybe 10 or 15 min.. the wait to start light doesnt come on. and it is hard to start.. I am guessing there is a thermostat in the relay timer.

Also I did need to replace the slim Pas side battery. The PO got a new Drivers side battery. but it was fighting with the other battery.. That newer battery checked out good at the store. However I think I will just replace that one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Very rarely do i only replace one battery on a diesel since nine times out of ten when one goes bad the other one is right behind it. Even letting it sit that long it still should start up just fine. After you start it does the relay start clicking when its hard to start?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Both Batteries have been replaced. Took the fuel filter head off. Chipped off all the JB weld the PO put over the heater. Tap the hole out with 1/2" NPT and put a plug in it. Put a fuel line between the filter and injector pump. Only thing I need to do is replace the line from the pump to the filter head. P.O. cut it and used hose clamps on it to put in a check valve. Non of this fixed my issue..

It starts great cold. I drive it around to get it up to temp. then shut it off. If I turn the key back on. No glow plug relay.. No WTS light. But if I put on a test light. I am getting signal to the relay. and fuel cutoff solenoid is working. It will strat back up no problem..

If it sits for about 20 min. Still no WTS Light. no Glow plug relay. Fuel does turn on. however it cranks but no start.. Sometimes it gets a kick or two.. If I wait for it to cool. then everything starts normal..

I am starting to think the BWD brand glow plug relay I got at advanced has the thurmostat in it set wrong. Maybe I should try a different brand.

to answer your question.. when it starts without the relay. it doesnt click after it is started.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I spent 1
$140 on a new Standard ignition parts Glow Plug relay, and timer. Didn't help.

Cut the return line to the top of the filter, to be on a newer section of hose. and used a real hose clamp on it, not the pinch clamps.. Didn't help.

Still looking for the vacuum leak. Everyone else that I ask about it tells me that is what it is.

Anyone have any pics of the fuel lines. The P.O. may not have them right. He cut the line between the pump and filter to put in a check valve. and there is some fitting that may be a check valve in the return line to the tank.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its Fixed!

After going thru the fuel lines from the tank. Replacing the fuel pump and line. I found the problem.. The P.O. must have lost the spring and ball in the check valve on the return fitting off the injector pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.