Need advice on priming 7.3 IDI - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 07:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need advice on priming 7.3 IDI

I changed the fuel filter in my '88 7.3L IDI E350 VAN. Getting the old filter off took a while due to limited room and big hands, and getting the water drain off required me taking it inside to put in a vise. The replacement filter was also a pain to put on the end result was that I "lost" prime on the fuel line big time. I know the fuel pump is working because when I was putting the filter back on the first time I didn't get it tight enough and it squirted diesel all over.

I'm trying to reprime it with 20 seconds of cranking with several minutes of cool down as I've read so I don't burn out my starter. I've "cracked" an injector line.

I've read discussions saying it will take lot's of cranks and read one post saying it might take recharging the batteries a couple of times.

I also just replaced the batteries.

Questions - Should I crack more injector lines?
Realistically how many times should I expect to due 20 seconds of cranking before suspecting injector pump failure?
Does pressing the Schrader valve on the filter housing help?
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive cracked multiple injectors, have a buddy stand up front, crank it till fuel starts to come out, have you buddy tighten them up while you are cranking it when fuel comes out, it should then fire on the cylinder, might take a few.

be careful though, because im not sure what the pressure of the fuel is at the line, if its high pressure I think that stuff can get in your skin.

but, also the truck I have practiced this on had an electric fuel pump, so cranking it wasn't as necessary, and i might have also had more pump power.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Success!!

Just kept on going out and loosening a few injectors, cranking for 20 seconds, tightening the injectors. Go inside, come out 10 or more minutes later repeat. SWMBO had started muttering that doing the same thing over and over with the same result, was a sign of being crazy.

Finally after cranking about 40 times I got fuel leak around one injector. Another 5 cycles and I got it around two, another 5 cycles and it's 4. Then it fired once, one cylinder.

A few more cycles and I took a spray bottle (old Fabreze bottle [the deodarant for men]) of diesel and gave it two misty squirts in the wire mesh. Cranked and it fired up ROUGH. Let it run for a while.
Time will tell but I'm hoping it's road ready.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:47 PM

awesome! glad you got her going!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The best way.

Fill up the fuel filter to the brim with diesel, and re-instal. Loosen all 8 injector lines. Crank for 10-15 seconds, then wait for 2 minutes. Do this twice (so 2 cranking sessions). Go look under the hood. If there is fuel around the injector, tighten that injector line down, if there is no fuel, dont tighten. Crank another time, and then check under the hood.

With the filter full, it shouldnt take more than 3 of those crankings to get fuel to the injectors. Also, once you get about 5 lines tightened down, it will actually run....will sound like it has a huge cam in it Then just run over and tighten down the rest as it idles.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 PM

I don't know what is up with my IDI but I have run out of fuel on more than one occasion and it doesnt get air in the fuel system. I just switch to the other tank and pedal it while cranking it(a little longer than usual).
Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
Loosen all 8 injector lines.
It's a van, almost impossible to get to the front fuel lines, especially without taking off the fuel filter.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
when I changed my filter, I didn't have to crack the lines...I primed the new filter with diesekleen and she cranked right up and ran w/out any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.