7.3 overheating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 overheating

ok i bought a 94 7.3 with 150k miles. Guy said it was "using a little water" when i bought it. i drove it down the road with no issues so i took it. Problem that evolved since... i noticed that my heat stopped putting out heat first, then as i was getting home the temp gauge got up there as i pulled into my house and the top hose blew. I then drained the radiator and changed both hoses, the thermostat,and the drive belt. i took it down the road and noticed ALOT of smoke, looks more blue than white. doesnt smoke blue while im into the throttle, but only when i let off or at idle. truck goes from cold start to HOT in about 10 mins of driving. the radiator wasnt topped off but the resivouir was still full. when i drained the radiator the fluid was very light gray, the old owner also used stop leak which i did see. and i can smell the antifreeze in the cab. WHY is it over heating and smoking like this now???? is it head gaskets? or what?? thanks for the help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the heater core which would be why you're smelling coolant in the cab ( just put one in my 96 about a month ago). As far as it smoking could be a different issue due to it over heating but it definantly sounds like the heater core is bad. Paid $35 for mine.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM

it smokes when its cold all the way up til she got hot and i shut her off. but only when im out of the throttle or idle. and top hose was very tight
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM

the guy did add stop leak to it so wondering if it may jest be the radiator clogged or something stipid
Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM

now doesnt over heat but smokes blue

ok so today i was bound and determined to get the water temp up so i could maybe figure this issue out. Well i top of the radiator with water and let it idle for about 15 mins then ran it about 5 miles like a dog but water temp wouldnt even get half way. My heat now works vs before when it blew cold air. I not have a noticible miss while at the top of each gear and during pickup, trucks idle dropped after about 30 mins of running and went from sounding like a good running diesel to a diesel with a hugh lope cam....... Truck goes in and out of phases where it will smoke blue at idle or whenever im not on the gas...... WTF is going on. The oil is still black but the coolant is gray, however the previous owner dumped stop leak in the radiator cause it "burned water". anyone know whats goin on??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.