E40D Transmission Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E40D Transmission Issues

Hey guys, first post, and need some help.

1993 F250 Diesel, IDI with the E40D. Has about 275,000, 4 wheel drive.

The problem is the transmission keeps putting itself into a "limp mode". Codes pulled point to the TPS / VSS, which has been replaced and adjusted with no improvement. If I unplug the battery terminals, it shifts great. It does not slip, nor does it shift hard. About 10 minutes later, or a couple of miles, it will go into this limp mode. Resetting the computer (unplugging the battery) always resets the code, and always allows the truck to shift well.

I haven't had my truck for about 2 months, and getting very upset and bothered by the "experts" at this transmission shop. I think they have been pulling my chain / taking advantage of my situation. They now say the transmission needs a rebuild or clutch packs because they found shavings of metal in the valve body. I do not believe them, nor do I see how this will solve the issue of a TPS fault. I'm fairly sure that I have read every thread that has the keywords "e40d" and "problems" but no solutions that have worked. Here is what I have done / transmission shop has done.

Replaced VSS sensor
Replaced PSOM (several times)
Replaced ABS moudle (several times)
Replaced Cruise Control Servo (cruise control still doesn't work, if that drops any hints)

I then then took it to an aamco dealer..

They said they traced it back to a PCM for the transmission..

Replaced PCM Transmission - 500+ Bucks
Replaced TPS
Adjusted TPS
New Fluid
New Filter
Checked all grounds (this is what they said)

They have claimed to have "fixed the problem" several times only to go pick it up and have the code reappear 5 minutes from making it home. This has happened at least 5 times for the last two months.

Recently divorced, going through a tough time financially, can't really afford to be paying idiots for the best guesses. I really need my truck.

Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.