7.3 IDI upgrades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 IDI upgrades?

Hello everyone im new to this site and i am looking for some help. I bought a 7.3 IDI and i feel that it is slow and to quiet. i know that i could but a turbo but im curious if there is anything else performance wise for it. Also looking to see about who makes an exhaust system. where i could buy one and so on. I want to run a true dual straight out the back. i want it terribly loud. i would appreciate all the help i can get. Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM

IDI's with a 3.5" straight pipe sound pretty mean and very cool sounding with a glass pack, you can turn up the injection pump it will make a difference in power, I believe their is a company that makes a stage I camshaft for the IDI's. not alot of power mod for the IDI's
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Would it make a big difference to run duals compared to a 3.5 inch straight pipe? comparing losing power. I know theres not too much else to do performance wise. My next question is do they make any monitors that show mpg temps rpms and such to mount on the dash. i believe you need an obdII connector but i could be wrong. i appreciate all the help.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
what year is this?

gauges will have to be all analog with its own sensors
turbo is needed for more power and a single glasspack exhaust is loud enough.

i highly doubt you have a obd2. thats like 95+

Last edited by Jarrod B; 02-15-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its the end of 93 considered a 94. Not sure about adding a turbo ive heard that it will cause problems with the motor. im looking to make it nice and loud. it has 220,000 miles on it. i know they are good motors actually one of the best made but they made them all bottom end and i want a little extra top end out of it i figure change out the exhaust and it will help add a little extra power nothing to noticeable plus the sound i want to get out of it. i was hoping to get a nice display monitor to hook up but im not into spending a ton of money on it. but i will change from a dual to single just an inch bigger. would it make a big difference to put headers on it or is that just an extra that i dont really need?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Banned

no just watch your boost levels since the compresstion ratio is higher than a powerstroke. we have a 6.9 here thats turboed and is better than our non turboed 7.3. but the 6.9 is studded lol.

that display monitor better have a lot of analog reading sensors since the idi has like nothing on digital readout.

imo its not worth spending a lot on a idi. and imo a 7.3 psd. you can only do so much to it before its a money pit. unless your pocket book is deep.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will look into a turbo and everything to make it work. i know my truck eats starters up like they are nothing. so the high compression is well known. how much boot would you recommend to run. Im not planning on spending much but a turbo would be a good upgrade.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Used turbos have flooded the market. Complete kits are now 6-900$

To get more power you need more fuel. With no turbo, the more fuel you put in the higher the EGT's. That's where turbo's come in, they supply the extra air to burn the extra fuel to keep EGT's down.

If you aren't going to do a turbo just make sure it's breathing as good as possible. I would go with a large single exhaust over dials but that is just me. The biggerthe exhaust the better (less cackle) sound it makes. 3.5" is a good size for a N/A IDI

Once I get out of school my engine is getting some mods. DB4 IP that will push 120-150cc's, better injectors, reveling camshaft, better valve springs, and a much larger turbo.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

alright. thanks for the help!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a question about the ATS turbo... I have a 92 7.3 and am being told that the turbo reached death. (it removed all my oil from the motor) Is there a rebuild kit or a person around here that can rebuild them for less then buying another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.