Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

leaking diesel from o ring return injection tee

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cp2007 
#1 ·
After running my engine for about twenty miles and left it idling for ten minutes I looked under the engine and noticed that my two front return injector orings are craked and there seems to be fuel leaking from them. I was hoping this may be the cause of my hard start problems when hot, because as the engine heats up the faulty orings allow air to come in the infectors and causing it not to start right away.
If any one thinks this could be the cause please let me know so I can stop running around in circles trying to figure out why my engine starts okay when cold but is hard to start when hot. I was also wondering if it could be a bad starter that is not turning out that much power when hot.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Well, no matter if it is your starting problem or not, you really need to fix the fuel leaking.. There is a kit you can buy called a "Fuel Injector Install Kit". It comes with several feet of new fuel line, o-rings, a bunch of clamps, copper washers, and all new T's for the o-rings. You won't need the copper washers because you are not going to be taking the fuel injectors out. Just replace all the rest of the parts.

I have a feeling that it will help you out.

#5 ·
If you have too much air in the lines, it will take a lot of cranking to get it started again. Don't abuse your starter too much, I ruined mine while doing the exact same thing.

What you can do to make the starting easier is to take a gasoline soaked rag and hold it to the air cleaner and have a friend put his foot on the floor crank the truck. It should light up and run kind of crappy on the gas fumes. You will have to throttle the truck with the gas-soaked-rag. Closer to the air box will throttle it up, farther will let it idle down a bit. Meanwhile the fuel injection pump will be purging all that air much more quickly than you could ever do while cranking. At some point, the truck will be running on it's own, and you can just drive it to get the rest of the air out.

#8 ·
Good deal.. Did you use the gas trick, or did you just crank it more?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.