hard start when hot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hard start when hot

I have been experiencing trouble starting my 1992 7.3 f250. In the morning it seems to start up great, but if I drive it for 10 minutes and get out to go into the store and come back it take a few cranks and cycles of the glow plugs. I originaly thought it was bad glow plugs, but the more I think about it, the engine shouldnt need it when it is already hot and the outside temp is over 90. I have replaced the stock water seperator and added a electric fuel pump because there was air getting in to the system somewhere, but I still have this problem starting, and I know it is not good to use ether on diesels but sometimes I have to otherwise it wont start and when I do use it starts right up. If there is anyone with an opinion I would love to her it because I am starting to feel like I am going around in circles.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 03:37 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

First, instead of using ether, use wd-40. Does the engine spin over fast when it gets hot. The starter could be getting weak when hot. I've had that problem with gassers. Have you tried bleeding the fuel system when trying to crank it while hot. Sounds like it could be vapor locking. I have heard of these engines doing it, but I'm not sure how to fix it.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 PM

I would check the compression. There is a special tool that screws into the glow plug hole to check it. Do it with the engine cold then with it warm. Any service manual should say the specs to be within.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM

someone else had mention compression and also that the injector pump maybe going bad. The said to test it pouring cold water over the pump when hot and if it starts then the pump is bad or to try loosening the injector pump and rotating it slightly towards the passenger side. Also I read that there is some oil pressure switch that may be getting to hot and preventing starting while hot
What do you think?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:44 PM

The oil pressure gauge on the dash should tell you if the oil pressure switch is working or not. Does it read normal, high, low...?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hard starting when hot

I had the same problem with my 92 f250 idi.It turned out to be the starter.Connect a voltmeter to the fuel solenoid located at top of fuel pump and crank the engine while it is hot.If you have low voltage while cranking-7-8 volts,the starter is drawing too much and the solenoid will not open the fuel supply at the pump.Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just bought a 92 f250 7.3 idi. with just over 52,000 mi. i'm experiencing some hard starts also. sometimes it takes 3-4 turns of the key to start. i did change the oil and fuel/h2o seperator. i'm new to the site, but what a wealth of info here! i'll try the starter volt test. the starter does seem sluggish when it's warmed up. i'll let you know what happens.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:35 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymo View Post
i just bought a 92 f250 7.3 idi. with just over 52,000 mi. i'm experiencing some hard starts also. sometimes it takes 3-4 turns of the key to start. i did change the oil and fuel/h2o seperator. i'm new to the site, but what a wealth of info here! i'll try the starter volt test. the starter does seem sluggish when it's warmed up. i'll let you know what happens.
Welcome to the ORG.!

Let us know what you find.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hard start

Thanks for the welcome Derrick! Well, I did the volt test, and it showed 6-8 volts upon initial start up, then jumped up to 12-13 volts about 5 seconds later. So, it looks as if the starter is going bad??? according to the previous posts. Anyone else have any ideas?
I'll change the starter next week, and I'll give you my findings. My truck is a 1994 not a 1992, sorry! Thanks for the help. Tony.

Last edited by tonymo; 09-30-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: thank you and year change
Old 10-01-2007, 02:26 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Check the glow plug relay also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.