Cam position sensor location? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Cam position sensor location?

I've got a 94' F350 IDI that I am having problems with and thought I would start here. The truck has 222K miles on it and has never been replaced that I know of. Every where says it's in the 11 o'clock position over the harmonic balancer but I just cannot see it.

Am I looking in the right place?

Is it behind something and recessed in the block?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Guess it may sound stupid but there isn't any wire running to that area.

Over the harmonic balancer there is the timing plate with two round hollow posts on it and it looks to be riveted or stamped on. (Almost looks like a grease fitting)

I'm totally lost on this one. It is not like the posted pic's in other threads. Not there.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM

we don't have a cam sensor on the IDI.

what kind of problems are you having?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for replying.

I finally figured that out. These are definetly different beasts than their counterparts.

My main problem, I've figured out, is no power to energize my cluster electronics and fuel injector with the switch turned on. Not getting any juice to these fuses (2-20 amps and 2-10 amps). Everything else on the truck is operating fine.

Could this be a bad ignition switch? Are there any fuses in between I've missed? All the fuses in the dash are fine also.

Thanks for your help. My wife is going to shoot me if I don't figure this out quickly. Don't have the money to take it to a mechanic.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like a bad ignition switch. Key on everything comes on...but turn the key and it wont crank right?

Same thing happened to mine. They are definatly a wear item. You can change them out or put the starter on a push button.

Technically, you only need 1 wire for an IDI to run (to the fuel shut off valve). Gotta love mechanical engines.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
Sounds like a bad ignition switch. Key on everything comes on...but turn the key and it wont crank right?

Same thing happened to mine. They are definatly a wear item. You can change them out or put the starter on a push button.

Technically, you only need 1 wire for an IDI to run (to the fuel shut off valve). Gotta love mechanical engines.
Thanks

Turned out it was the security system was bad and totally shut down my starting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.