Help! Need some wiring direction - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Need some wiring direction

Working on an 89 Super Duty with a 7.3/ZF5spd. All the wring to the I/P is completely compromised. All the connectors are spliced in to one hot wire from the ignition. Really want to get the cold start idle compensator working. Among other things... Anything would help, even a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Going off memory here, but aren't there only 2 wires going to the injection pump? The one on top of the pump should be key on hot. The high idle is controlled by a temp sender located near the top front passenger side of the head. It is a 2 wire sending unit. This is what controls the voltage to the high idle switch. I would start with unplugging the high idle switch and jumping 12 volts to it and seeing if it's working. If it is, then I would replace the temp sender for it.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On this model there are three electrical connections. One is the shut-off solenoid, then directly behind it is another. Not exactly sure what it is but it does slightly affect the idle when power is applied, I would also say it affected the smoothness of acceleration. Kinda hard to explain... And the third connection is the high idle solenoid, which works but I do need to replace the temp sw in the cylinder head.

The two connectors on top of the IP both have two wires going into the connector and that is on par with what I have seen before. They are yellow and red. AFAICT there are two red wires coming out of the harness that are soldered together into one then all three connectors are (in one way or another) connected to this single wire. Ugh! such a mess. I'm going to look at another truck to see if I can rob the whole wiring harness or figure out what the hell is going on...
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the two plugs on the injector pump side. the 1 closeet to the raditor should be hot with key on. the 1 behind that terminal is the wire that controls the high idle solenoid it reads when the switch in the cylinder head is closed which should be closed below 50 degrees. let me know if you need anymore help sounds u have somebody elses mess. haha
Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help, that makes more sense. However the farther I dig into the harness the worse it's looking... The owners of the truck (small auto dismantler by my house) have a spare truck for parts. I'm going to try to rob the harness from it. Only prob is it's not the exact same year and the engine appears to be 6.9. Which doesn't bother me a great deal, I mean it's gotta have similar wiring at the IP? I'm having trouble recalling what year the body style changed in the 80's and when the 7.3 was introduced. I was under the assumption that the two changes happened at the same time. But seeing as how they have a late 80's body truck with a 6.9 clearly I am wrong... Unless someone swapped engines?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well if im thinking correctly the harness from 6.9 should be pretty much the same as 7.3 as far as the ip good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.