7.3 idi possible fueling issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 idi possible fueling issue?

I recently (about a month ago) replaced my injector pump on my truck. at first it ran fine, but now if i run the truck over 50-60 mph it dies as if i ran out of fuel, and is a pain to start. i replaced the mechanical pump yesterday, hoping that it would fix the problem but during my test drive, my truck died at 65 mph. do yall think that this has to do with my new ip? any help is much appreciated. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i think you got a line somewhere that is getting air. the first i would check is the rubber lines running from each injector and to pump and from filter housing. but i dont think it has to do with new ip. u can try to advance or retard the ip to see if that makes a difference but i thinking you are just catching air somewhere good luck
Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ill give it a look, thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just bought a 1993 7.3 idi turbo and it ran great the day i bought it, i drove at least 100 miles and then it just stalled out on me. so i thought i ran out of diesel and the fuel gauge was messed up just so happens i stalled out at a gas station, so i put diesel in there and fired up after a minute of cranking. thinking that was the problem till about three miles down the road it stalled out again! after putting 6 gallons in. so i waited and after a minute of cranking it fired back up,now knowing the gauge isnt messed up something is wrong, so i went up to oreillys and got a new fuel filter and that diesel treatment everyone talks about and it ran good enough to get home after stalling out on me two more times on the way home. What else ive done since parked is a throttle position sensor, the other thing every one is talking about the crank positioning sensor which sounds like the same symptoms i am having but the 1993 7.3idi doesnt have one, umm i also notice today that my oil pressure is about a quater high on the dash gauge does anyone have any suggestions! I really need to get this thing going but i dont wanna spend a bunch of money shooting around the problem
Old 08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barritt1134 View Post
i just bought a 1993 7.3 idi turbo and it ran great the day i bought it, i drove at least 100 miles and then it just stalled out on me. so i thought i ran out of diesel and the fuel gauge was messed up just so happens i stalled out at a gas station, so i put diesel in there and fired up after a minute of cranking. thinking that was the problem till about three miles down the road it stalled out again! after putting 6 gallons in. so i waited and after a minute of cranking it fired back up,now knowing the gauge isnt messed up something is wrong, so i went up to oreillys and got a new fuel filter and that diesel treatment everyone talks about and it ran good enough to get home after stalling out on me two more times on the way home. What else ive done since parked is a throttle position sensor, the other thing every one is talking about the crank positioning sensor which sounds like the same symptoms i am having but the 1993 7.3idi doesnt have one, umm i also notice today that my oil pressure is about a quater high on the dash gauge does anyone have any suggestions! I really need to get this thing going but i dont wanna spend a bunch of money shooting around the problem
Did you ever get this figured out? What was the problem and solution?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

never got it figured out any suggestions
Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 87 with a 88 7.3 swap was doing the same thing every time i went to crank it after a stall it would have air in the fuel filter then it just died couldnt get her to start again still trying to figure it out replaced everything between the tanks to the ip have a feeling it is the injector caps
Old 01-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Mine has this problem when it gets low on fuel found rust holes in the bottom of my fuel pick up in the tank as it gets low it sucks air...
Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like the same prob IM having. I also changed the fuel tank and sending unit though. found a glow plug blowing bubbles, tightened it up. Helped but still stalls out. Also noticed 2 injectors blowing bubbles. will be checking them tomorrow. did u ever find what's causing ur problem?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:58 PM

injectors aren't supposed to blow bubbles....I would bet that is where you are getting air...is it at the top of the injector or around the base? If at the top I would say get the return line cap kit and replace the caps O-rings and return lines...mine needs that too lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.