Why IDI? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why IDI?

So heres the question. if buying something from early 90s, why go with an idi? as opposed to a cummins or something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Maverick1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIcurious View Post
So heres the question. if buying something from early 90s, why go with an idi? as opposed to a cummins or something along those lines.
I don't own an IDI, but I am seriously considering one as I am looking for a new vehicle (either IDI or PS).

When the vehicles are that old, simple, cheap it might come back to brand loyalty or other factors.

I don't know much about cummins motors but the price of maint. for an IDI is super cheap. I would assume cummins is the same since most everything from back then was mechanical.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I loved my IDI when i had it. It was a 89 rclb with the zf5 trans. I want to buy another when i get a chance at one. I thought that truck had good power still cuz I drove a 92 cummins at work every so often and it seemed like the IDI had more power. Coulda been the fact the cummins was just a old farm truck though. Didn't get taken care of the best.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most people who have owned IDI's will say the same thing....slow, but they miss them and want another. They arent fast, but they definatly get the job done. A simple motor, easy to diagnose problems, easy to fix, and most parts are cheap (you can buy 8 new injectors for the price of 1 new PSD injector).

The first gen cummins are the same for the people who owned them. They tend to be more expensive, and you cant get on with a crew cab like you can with a Ford.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 PM

i had never owned a diesel before an found my 88 CC/LB/DRW/2WDwith a zf5 an love the truck it has plenty of power an it does ok on the dino mpg's too i plan on a turbo later ...once you get one you will understand they are jus plain old fashioned no computer nonsense good trucks
Old 10-16-2011, 04:00 PM

No computers, mostly mechanical. I can work on it without having to hook up a diagnostic program to it.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The main reason I see for going with an IDI over a 1st gen Cummins is price. In my area a 1st gen Cummins truck will cost twice as much as an IDI truck of the same year and shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.