7.3L IDI cranks but no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L IDI cranks but no start

I have a 91 f350 7.3L IDI 5spd Manual, that sat for about a year but once was a daily driver with no know problems. The truck was gifted to me from a family member so I cant complain! With some help from a shot or two of ether and some cranking, it fired right up and I was able to drive it to my shop. Once parked at my shop, I noticed a few fuel line leaks and the O ring on the fuel filter heater leaking pretty bad which was the start of my problems. I didnt do anything with it for a month or two except fix the fuel line leak to prevent draining the fuel tank onto the floor. I ran the truck every few weeks until the leak on the filter heater got bad enough that the truck stopped running. I have since removed the filter heater and plugged the hole with a rubber plug. I have then tried to get it started but have had no luck what so ever, even with ether or WD40. I know I was getting air in the fuel lines so I started by replacing the fuel filter and installing an electric fuel pump with a max output of 7psi. Replaced every fuel line and installed all new fuel return lines, caps and O rings. Installed (2) new 850CCA batteries, new battery cables and had a local shop go through the Mitsubishi starter. Bleed the fuel system completely and I have fuel to each injector. The air intake is currently off, so there are no restrictions there. The exhaust is straight piped with no restrictions either. The glow plugs cycle for about 10sec, however I do know of 2 GP's that do not work but this should not keep it from starting, keep in mind this is FL and its 90 plus degrees. I have white smoke exiting from the exhaust pipe when spinning the motor over, but also have some white smoke coming out of the air intake. I have also plugged the block heater in and it still makes no attempt to run. I have not yet changed the oil but have checked the oil level and it seems to be fine I have read a few other post about guys adding some oil and the truck cranks up, but I dont understand how that would affect anything here. Fuel tanks are 3/4 full and full, but fuel is about 14 months old would this have any affect? Im losing hair over this, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
The Tamed Racing Driver

It won't even fire on either?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is correct! I have tried a shot of starter fluid/ether and I get no fire! I have not touched anything other than the items mentioned in my first post. Is it possible my timing could have jumped off? What really has me puzzeled is the fact that it once ran fine until my fuel problems and now I get absolutely nothing. Im getting fuel pressure/fuel mist at the injectors, but I thought even without fuel present I sould get some sort of fire with starter fluid?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Even if you timing was way out it should still fire off either. When you crack the injector lines while cranking does any fuel come out?

Did you test to see if the glow plugs are functioning?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have cracked all (8) injector lines about a half turn and have (2) lines that spray fuel up to the hood and (6) lines that spray fuel up about 3" in the air from the fittings. I think I have a stuck valve or two but I should at least be firing on the other cylinders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.