1992 F350- My feed truck, a diamond in the rough.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1992 F350- My feed truck, a diamond in the rough..

Just finished feeding cattle and I figured I'd snap a pic and post it for everyone to see since this truck rarely sees much public attention. This is our 1992 F350 regular cab 4x4 with the 7.3L IDI non-turbo diesel and 5-speed manual. This truck is the 'Custom' model with no frills. No power windows or locks, no cruise, no tilt. Just a bench seat (with red interior, no less), AM/FM radio that automatically adjusts volume as it feels necessary. It's got a DewEze arm bed on it and a Bar 6 cake feeder.

Why is this a diamond in the rough? Because while feeding today it rolled 55k miles!

Always dependable and tough as nails. Little cold blooded in the winter time, but the block heater always keeps it in service. Aside from regular maintenance, we've put very little money into this truck to keep it rolling. The most we've spent was about $900 last year getting it tuned up/serviced and replacing the master cylinder and multi-function switch on the column. Built Ford Tough!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Attached Thumbnails
1992 F350- My feed truck, a diamond in the rough..-imageuploadedbyautoguide1316733325.584109.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Old trucks are worth their weight in gold...IMO Looks like yours has no rust?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
Old trucks are worth their weight in gold...IMO Looks like yours has no rust?
Zero rust. Oklahoma truck it's entire life!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Nice ride. Old 7.3's never say die!!!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:56 PM

When I used to change oil for a living, we had our share of those come in. Only thing I hated about them, was that the oil was changed a year ago (since it wasn't driven enough) and that filter was TIGHT.
Never saw any old Dodges or Chevys doing like those Fords would.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
When I used to change oil for a living, we had our share of those come in. Only thing I hated about them, was that the oil was changed a year ago (since it wasn't driven enough) and that filter was TIGHT.
Never saw any old Dodges or Chevys doing like those Fords would.
You know I never have trouble with the oil filter, but the fuel filter is another story. Ever since I can remember, we can change that filter and get done then try and start it and it wont run because it's got air in the system now. Every single time I've gotta crack an injector on it then fire it up and let it purge then tighten it back up. Maybe I've been doing it wrong for year? Lol

Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 PM

It's IDI and a mech fuel pump so it's a pain. Fill the new filter with diesel (we used ATF to clean and prime), spin it on, then try it. Once it starts then keep it idled up just to keep it from dying. Much easier. If that doesn't work, you may also have to open the bleed valve on top in addition to priming it. At least I think those have a bleed valve.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
It's IDI and a mech fuel pump so it's a pain. Fill the new filter with diesel (we used ATF to clean and prime), spin it on, then try it. Once it starts then keep it idled up just to keep it from dying. Much easier. If that doesn't work, you may also have to open the bleed valve on top in addition to priming it. At least I think those have a bleed valve.
I've always done that. Filled the new filter with diesel then installed it. I don't recall a bleed valve though... It'll fire up and run rough and shake and if you pump it like a carburetor you can kind of keep it running.... But it usually dies. Then it won't fire at all until you crack an injector open and crank on it til it does fire off and purges the air out. Oh well, I'm not complaining! Can't work on the new ones like that anymore!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.