94 Ford non powerstroke yet factory turbo. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 Ford non powerstroke yet factory turbo.

From what I have been told it's NOT an IDI or a power-stroke so what is it and what mods can I apply to it. I was reading on another forum from a retired Ford worker that they were purposely de-tuned and choked down to make the new power-stroke more desirable. True? or un-true and again what cool mods can I do to up the torque. I pull a LOT of stuff on my horse ranch + my 20 ft boat. Had a 93 IDI loved it but it got wrecked by my brother. HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It should be exact same as your previos 93, just slapped a turbo on it in 93-94 as a kinda small boost up for sales before the late 94 power stroke, they are ko.ds rare now since in 94 year they offered 3 different kinds of diesels, naturally aspirated diesel, turbo IDI diesel, and turbo Di diesel aka powerstroke. It's gonna be more powerful than your old IDI but not as powerful as the powerstroke, good luck they really will run forever.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the reply, I wonder which one it is the turbo di or the other one. It sure is in pristine shape!!! I figure 3500 is cheap for it. What kinda hp/tourque can I expect and once I change the exhaust to a 3+ inch what boost will that give me ?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also understand they squished the downpipe from the get go. thats GOTTA screw things up performance wise. I am glad to hear it will last forever I get kinda attached to my rig.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 PM

Does the engine look like your '93 did? if so then it is the IDI. what is the vin code on it. the 8th digit in the vin #. if it is "K" then it is factory turbocharged IDI. post up some pics.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrow View Post
thanks for the reply, I wonder which one it is the turbo di or the other one. It sure is in pristine shape!!! I figure 3500 is cheap for it. What kinda hp/tourque can I expect and once I change the exhaust to a 3+ inch what boost will that give me ?
hp/torque will be right around were your '93 was. little more giddy up with the turbo. i would not go with 3" exhaust. running 3" would only be 1/2 bigger than factory. minimum of 3 1/2". i hope to be running 4" straight pipe soon. you will want to get rid of the factory down pipe to. banks is the only company that still has upgraded downpipes for these trucks. You can modify a '94-'97 PSD downpipe though. Boost depends on exhaust, intake, and mostly on the condition of the fuel system. get some new BB code injectors and a new ip on there and she will run good.

this thread explains the differences in volume of the piping.....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51084
Old 09-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought I posted earlier but I guess it didn't post. On the other diesel site the ford factory feller said that the IDI turbo was purposely choked down so people would pay the extra 1800 for the PSD. According to my vin# I have a factory turbo diesel (IDI) what would happen if I opened it up to 4 inch exhaust and opened up the intake (although I don't know how on the intake)? I have heard that if you put to big an exhaust you actually cut your power down from lack of back pressure? I joined to learn about these diesel critters This is my third diesel and my first turbo. The others were 1989-and 1993 IDI non turbos but I am totally hooked on ford diesels. All the responses / advice/help I can get here is appreciated.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Is it a V8? Ford did make a I6 diesel, but I'm not sure what year truck they were in.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

By the way I have a set of 17 inch beautiful rims I will post pics when I figure out how anyway they are for sale. New they were 900+ but I will take the best offer I can get. Can't wait to post pics of the new truck I pick it up next week Man is it in NICE SHAPE!!!
Q. Is there any benefit to side pipes behind the cab? or is it just cosmetic in nature?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Mostly cosmetic (which I peronaly don't like) but it will be a bit louder. Also you are going to get soot all over the wheel and tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.