'93 IDI non-turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'93 IDI non-turbo

I just recently bought a 1993 F250 ext. cab in near perfect condition with 129,xxx. Was owned by an older man since 1993 to pull his fifth wheel camper every so often. I've been driving it for a week now to school, and random errands. I had several questions.
1. When I switch the tank switcher to the front tank, which i know is full of diesel, the gauge doesn't change it's reading, and i'm not sure if it even switches tanks. Could this be a bad switch, or sender??
2. A neighbor who works with diesels regularly suggested that running a quart of tranny fluid through the fuel would clean the injectors and such. Is this a bad idea?
3. Are there any inexpensive mods or adjustments, either to the exhaust or fuel pump/injectors, that could help increase my fuel economy?

I'm fairly new to diesels, and don't know a whole lot. Any help, or any random info. would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Jake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My bud swears by the ATF too he has done it and has no problems..

For a constant fuel additive i run 2 stroke oil because this crappy diesel now is so dry.. needs some lube!

Welcome to the .org!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJake View Post
1. When I switch the tank switcher to the front tank, which i know is full of diesel, the gauge doesn't change it's reading, and i'm not sure if it even switches tanks. Could this be a bad switch, or sender??
First off, congrats, and pics please Sounds like a sweet ride.

Is it not moving at all? On my '86 it takes a minute or two or three for the needle to move over when I switch tanks. I'm just guessing it's because it's old. If not, I'm guessing it could be a loose wire or connection.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for replies, I will run some tranny fluid through it and see what happens i guess. I ran out of fuel the other day on account of my gauge reading a quarter tank when it was actually empty. Something is completely messed up with that situation. I'll try to post a photo.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 AM

welcome to the site there is a good thread going on the ATF thing and there is alot to do for better mpg im looking for that myself so be ready to read alot and dont be afraid to ask questions the guys on here are very knowledgeable ....as for the fuel i keep being told to run a lil 2stroke oil in my tanks to keep the fuel system well lubed cuzz the USLD is crap an hard on our beloved trucks
Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run Lucas fuel additive in my tanks every time I fuel. Does this have the same affect as ATF fluid or do I need to do that as well? Sorry, but I'm new to IDI's also.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how did ruining tranny fluid work and how much did you put in it? and also did you ever figure out your fuel switch problem was? i have a 93 f350 with daul tanks and the front tank fluid level needle doesnt move at all on the gauge. I am thinking about dropping my take and seeing if there is floats that measure the level and if indeed seeing if they are screwed up.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lineman, I actually ended up selling the truck several months ago due to price of diesel, lack of fuel economy (13-14mpg in city WITH a light foot and no air) and overall practicality. The fuel switch problem involved something to do with the actual fuel switcher on the frame rail which was not functioning ($100 part). I never figured out why the gauge read incorrectly. As for the ATF, I ended up running industrial grade diesel additive through it. Never tried the ATF. I noticed little to no difference. Can't hurt to try it I guess. Hope I helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.