running poorly. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
running poorly. fuse problem

first off, my first diesel and i love it. its a 92 cc f350 idi non turbo.
i noticed right before i parked earlier the battery gauge dropped to 0V. when i restarted, which it had no problems with at all, it stayed at 0 and did not move or make any clicks with the ignition ON. normally itll click and bounce which im assuming is WTS? since i dont have a WTS light?
when driving and idling, the rpm gauge also stays at 0. while on the road 1st gear is kinda ok but slower to accelerate, 2nd gear and on its very jumpy like its surging in power kinda like if you pressed the gas over and over to make it jump. and while it does that it POURS black smoke(cant say im not getting fuel) and it VERY slow to accelerate but can still go 50mph.

i just added fuel injector cleaner to a full tank, batteries and alternator both check out fine, and ill go check some fuses in a bit.

edit: figured it out. im almost sure its a fuse, it blew again before i started the truck, but the battery gauge worked again for 3 seconds until it went boom.
fuse #17: warning buzzer/chime module, warning indicators, gauges, tachometer, electronic transmission.
battery gauge doesnt work, tach doesnt work, the lights to the right of the dash(warning indicaters im guessing?) dont do anything, seems to shift ok..
i finally found the WTS light, sun was on it and i could read it, but its never lit up before

Last edited by irfreddy; 07-30-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
forgot to update this. but its fixed. needed a new shifter from ford.
ford released this:
Article No.
92-22-5

10/21/92

^ BRAKES - REAR ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM ELECTRONICS INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION

^ INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - LOSS OF INSTRUMENTATION GAUGES - VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION

^ LAMP - TRANSMISSION CONTROL LIGHT CYCLES ON/OFF OR CONTROL SWITCH INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES WITH E40D TRANSMISSION

^ WIRING - E40D TRANSMISSION CONTROL SWITCH - SHORTS IN STEERING COLUMN AND BLOWS # 17 FUSE

^ TRANSMISSION - E40D - CONTROL SWITCH WIRING SHORTS IN STEERING COLUMN AND BLOWS # 17 FUSE

^ TRANSMISSION - E40D - EARLY SHIFTS, LOSS OF POWER, POOR ACCELERATION AND 3-4 SHIFT CYCLING

LIGHT TRUCK:
1992 BRONCO, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES

ISSUE:
The transmission control switch wiring may be misrouted causing a short in the steering column and a blown # 17 fuse. The following symptoms may be associated with this concern.

^ Early shifts

^ Loss of power

^ Poor acceleration

^ 3-4 shift cycling

Transmission control light cycling ON/OFF or inoperative

^ Transmission control switch inoperative

^ Rear Anti-Lock Brake System (RABS) electronics (dash lights on, etc.) inoperative

^ Loss of instrumentation (tach, fuel gauge, etc.)

^ Unable to read Self-Test codes (solid tone only)

ACTION:
Inspect the transmission control switch wiring for damage and repair or replace as necessary. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

1. Remove the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the removal procedure.
2. Examine the transmission control switch wiring for damage, Figure 1.

3. Repair or replace the wiring as necessary.

4. Install the steering column cover. Refer to the 1992 Bronco/F-Series Service Manual, Section 11-04B, for the installation procedure.

CAUTION:
DURING REASSEMBLY, ROUTE WIRING AWAY FROM ATTACHING SCREW SO AS NOT TO PINCH OR DAMAGE WIRE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME CLASS
F2TZ-7210-F Lever And Wiring Harness B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.