Maybe trading a civic for a IDI.. opinions! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe trading a civic for a IDI.. opinions!

Hey yall,

I might be trading my friend for a 1992 7.3 IDI 4 door, long bed, 4wd. Pumped turned up and a 5'' stack and a brand new OEM clutch. Truck has 35k on a rebuild motor, 235k on the body and tranny.

Are these good motors? Ive never owned a diesel, so this would be my first. I know its not a speed demon, and i dont plan on it being one. But I will be daily driving this truck.. are they reliable? whats some problems I should look for while test driving?

What are common problems that go wrong with these trucks? Are replacement parts easy to find? I want and love being in a diesel. So any help would be appreciated and just general reviews on the motors and trucks them selves.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 11:22 AM

It is good that you would be getting it from your friend b/c you will kind of know service/maintinence history.

These motors if taken good care of are extremely reliable and for the most part quite simple.

The biggest thing in my opinion is condition/age of injectors and IP. the lifespan of these are about 100,000 miles. after that the performance starts to go away. common issues would be air leaks around the injector return lines, injection pump, and fuel filter head.

235K on tranny: on an auto that would probly be overdue for a rebuild. not sure on a manual.

not trying to scare you away from this truck but it might have a few bugs when you get it, but when you get those sorted out it will be fun to drive and it will be a great daily driver.

I see the IP is turned up. does the truck have a pyro? depending on how much it is turned up i would stay away if it does not have a pyro b/c you don't know what kind of EGT's were reached.

Compared to a PSD parts are cheap. easy to find also.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, he just put all new injectors, glow plugs, clutch, slave cylinder in. has alright tires, but the passenger doors ( 4 door) dont open. Its a 5 speed. New motor too, put in by a ASE ford mechanic. So idk.. He's putting a new starter on it too..
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 AM

Sounds like a solid rig.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

id trade my stroker for an IDI anyday, I love them. I say go for it, its only a civic lol
Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Trading a little rice burner for a big ole heavy duty oil burner? Heck yeah, I'd be all over that!! Seriously though, like the others have said they are generally great motors and the 5 speed is a plus in my opinion. The E4OD auto trannys that were in those trucks can be a little aggravating. I have a 93 F250 IDI and a 94 F250 IDI turbo and I love both of them. They are really simple to work on! I've done alot of work on mine myself and trust me, if I can do it anyone can! LOL
Old 08-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i say amen to that. my idi runs like a champ. once you go ford diesel you dont go back. nothin better than that.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM

Go for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.