Turning fuel up on 7.3 idi turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turning fuel up on 7.3 idi turbo

I have a 94 7.3 IDI factory turbo. Can somebody explain to me how to turn the fuel up? I don't have an egt guage yet so how much can i safely turn it up? I won't be pulling anything but I do tend to drive it pretty hard. And will this kill my mileage? I only get about 15 mpg now so I don't want it to get much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's pretty simple to do you will need a 1/4" wrench or socket , 5/32 Allen wrench and I think a 15/16 deep socket to turn ur motor by hand on the harmonic balancer, a mirror and a flash light .......
First off there is a half diamond shaped plate on the passenger side of the injection pump remove the top bolt and loosen the bottom bolt and slide the plate out of the way. There is a bit of diesel that will spill out don't panic it will start back up with no problem .... now look into the side of the pump the mirror and flashlight come in handy for this part you will notice a hole in there look inside the hole and if your lucky you will see the Allen screw if not turn ur motor slowly clockwise checking the side of the pump frequently untill you find the Allen head .... once you have found the Allen head position the allen wrench as straight as possible in the Allen head ( a new name brand Allen wrench would be best .... you don't want any metal shavings inside your pump ) turn clockwise for more fuel and counter clockwise for less ...... I have mine turned up 1/2 a turn but I have a pyrometer and as far as my mpg it stays the same as long as I don't dog it more than usual .... I've always averaged 12mpg city and 18.8mpg highway so your driving will decide your mpg and just an FYI egts climb really fast when I'm hammering down on the highway I've seen 1200 many times but I let off when I seem there you don't want to go any farther than 1250 unless your wanting to see melted pistons and bent connecting rods their not pretty but look cool though seen 4 melted pistons on 3 different trucks ....... BE CAREFUL WHEN TIGHTENING THE BOLTS ON THE INJECTION PUMP THEY ARE ALUMINUM AND BREAK VERY EASILY I BROKE ONE OF MINE AND HAD TO PULL MY INJECTION PUMP OUT TO FIX IT ..... IP REMOVAL IS NOT FUN !!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's pretty simple to do you will need a 1/4" wrench or socket , 5/32 Allen wrench and I think a 15/16 deep socket to turn ur motor by hand on the harmonic balancer, a mirror and a flash light .......
First off there is a half diamond shaped plate on the passenger side of the injection pump remove the top bolt and loosen the bottom bolt and slide the plate out of the way. There is a bit of diesel that will spill out don't panic it will start back up with no problem .... now look into the side of the pump the mirror and flashlight come in handy for this part you will notice a hole in there look inside the hole and if your lucky you will see the Allen screw if not turn ur motor slowly clockwise checking the side of the pump frequently untill you find the Allen head .... once you have found the Allen head position the allen wrench as straight as possible in the Allen head ( a new name brand Allen wrench would be best .... you don't want any metal shavings inside your pump ) turn clockwise for more fuel and counter clockwise for less ...... I have mine turned up 1/2 a turn but I have a pyrometer and as far as my mpg it stays the same as long as I don't dog it more than usual .... I've always averaged 12mpg city and 18.8mpg highway so your driving will decide your mpg and just an FYI egts climb really fast when I'm hammering down on the highway I've seen 1200 many times but I let off when I seem there you don't want to go any farther than 1250 unless your wanting to see melted pistons and bent connecting rods their not pretty but look cool though seen 4 melted pistons on 3 different trucks ....... BE CAREFUL WHEN TIGHTENING THE BOLTS ON THE INJECTION PUMP THEY ARE ALUMINUM AND BREAK VERY EASILY I BROKE ONE OF MINE AND HAD TO PULL MY INJECTION PUMP OUT TO FIX IT ..... IP REMOVAL IS NOT FUN !!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

JR-LOPEZ, your truck is N/A, which is easier to over fuel. I believe a turbo truck can be turned up two "flats" but, you need an EGT gauge.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help guys. Too bad my truck blew up before I got to do it. I started it and the throttle was stuck wide open. It lasted about two minutes.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:31 AM

Thottle got stuck or it ran away??
Old 04-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
should have jammed your shirt in the intake. Only way to stop a runaway diesel is to kill its air.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ran away. The injection pump got stuck open. And yeah I thought about blocking the intake later. It was my first truck and my dad's first diesel so I guess it just came from inexperience. The motor had about 5k miles on a rebuild too.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

@Texas6.0 ..... I now my truck is n/a and I know they are a bit easier to over fuel than a turbo charged engine but if you would pay more attention you would notice that 1. I have mine turned up 1/2 a turn which equals out to about 3.5 flats and 2. I already have a pyrometer which is an EGT guage which anyone whose tampering with the air fuel ratio should have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.