7.3 IDI to Powerstroke swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 IDI to Powerstroke swap

I own a '91 3/4 ext cab with a zf 5 speed manual tranny and 4x4, installed an ats turbo and heavyduty clutch and flywheel. Has 130k miles. While driving a few days ago, a loud knocking began then the motor died. I trieto turn it over once but nothing. I'm guessing it seized up. Dipstick wasn't dry but it needed a lot of oil even though I got a change 2 months ago. Would it be better to rebuild the IDI or swap to a Powerstroke? If swap, what complications could come from it? Could I use the ATS turbo on the powerstroke to twin turbo the powerstroke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredFromSubway View Post
I own a '91 3/4 ext cab with a zf 5 speed manual tranny and 4x4, installed an ats turbo and heavyduty clutch and flywheel. Has 130k miles. While driving a few days ago, a loud knocking began then the motor died. I trieto turn it over once but nothing. I'm guessing it seized up. Dipstick wasn't dry but it needed a lot of oil even though I got a change 2 months ago. Would it be better to rebuild the IDI or swap to a Powerstroke? If swap, what complications could come from it? Could I use the ATS turbo on the powerstroke to twin turbo the powerstroke?
Probably did seize if it needed a LOT of oil. As far as rebuilding the IDI or swapping a powerstroke in, its just really a money issue. And what you mean by "better", like cheaper, more powerful, etc. You would require A LOT of powerstroke parts, but your zf-5 should work. I doubt you could get the ATS in there and run sequential turbo's, just not that kinda room. And running parallel turbos requires A LOT of fab. The only complication from swapping in a powerstroke would be making sure its done right. It would actually probably be easier to swap a mechanical 12v cummins in, just because they're so straight forward, and have no electrical crap. just my 2 cents.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Oh and welcome to the org
Old 03-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, and I already know the money is going to be a big number either way, and I've heard that its hard to get power from the IDI compared to the powerstroke, so if I'm going to be dumping cash into it, I want to do it right the first time.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredFromSubway View Post
Thanks, and I already know the money is going to be a big number either way, and I've heard that its hard to get power from the IDI compared to the powerstroke, so if I'm going to be dumping cash into it, I want to do it right the first time.
Yeah, the IDI just cant put up the numbers a direct injected diesel can. Do you have a number in mind you want to spend on it? Because for the price of a swap you can probably get a decent 94.5-97 obs powerstroke. Unless you have a REALLY nice truck (minus the engine lol) or some sort of sentimental attachment to it I'd just suggest that. But if you have the cash and want to be unique id go ahead and throw a PSD in there, something you dont see much.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea everything but the engine is in great condition, the truck is very clean. What would be an optimum year to go with?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Any of them would work. IMHO i would go with a 99.5 - 00 motor and components. Ready to go for a big build should you decide to. In reality though all of them are good. You might here some smack talk about early 99's, but they're still better than 94.5-97's. The 94.5 - 97's you wouldn't have to worry about installing an intercooler though. Just depends on what you want/ can afford though.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you know if the zf tranny would mount up?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM

I'm 99% sure the zf5 would mount the same to any 6.9 idi, 7.3 idi, or 7.3 power stroke. They're all basically the same block. someone will correct me if im wrong on that though.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
idi, powerstroke, swap, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.