What is this engine part? Pics included - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 02:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is this engine part? Pics included

So I finally got all my little odds and ends on the truck fixed up (lights, reverse alarm, tranny fluid, fuel leak, etc..) and I notice another oil leak. It drips onto the filter and I thought that was the problem but I replaced the filter and cleaned the housing.

I ran the truck while looking under for leaks and found the oil coming from the center of this large (2.5"+/-) pipe that goes from above the oil filter housing to the front of the engine on the drivers side, just below the exhaust manifold. I have no idea what this part is but it seems to be part of the oil system. I assume it transfers the oil to or from the engine and through the filter but have no clue.

Here are some pictures from another engine where I circled or pointed to it in green.

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated,

-Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

same problem i had. mine was dripping down the filter turned out i had a very fine pin hole in the casting of the oil filter housing below where the 2.5'' pipe goes into the housing get a good light and look close at it. 1997 f250 power stroke all stock
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Well, I yanked the whole thing out and can't see where the leak is coming from. I hope I can just replace the O-rings and solve the problem but since it's out I might as well replace the housing and never worry about it again.

Apparently, it's the oil heater (according to my Haynes manual) which explains the coolant running through it too.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Some call it an oil cooler also.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:54 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

it's kinda both a heater and a cooler, it's function is to keep the engine oil at an optimum temp to operate the injectors correctly.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Called Ford today to get a price on a new oil filter housing with that leaking pipe and they told me it would be over $1000 and would have to be ordered from Canada.

For a 94 with only 55,000 miles, this d*mn diesel has given me more trouble than my 92 Ram diesel with 276,000 miles . You just can't beat a Cummins...
Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

dont replace it

it takes four o-rings. they are easy to install and cost about $20. so dont spend the thousand dollars. just pop the end caps off and install the orings put the caps back on that easy
Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 AM

its a flux capacitor. jk lol
Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 AM

Take it off and change the o-rings. Ford should have all the gasket kits in stock, probably $20 for the o-rings, $15-$20 for the 2 gaskets that seal it to the block. When reassembling, make sure to oil the o-rings and we use our shop press to put the ends back on.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL RACER View Post
Take it off and change the o-rings. Ford should have all the gasket kits in stock, probably $20 for the o-rings, $15-$20 for the 2 gaskets that seal it to the block. When reassembling, make sure to oil the o-rings and we use our shop press to put the ends back on.
Yeah I replaced all the O rings and the little gaskets for where the unit bolts to the block. After 6 hours of removal and installation, I ran the truck and as soon as it built oil pressure, the oil started squirting from a few pinholes in the side of the tube.

I found an assembly on Ebay for $50, so when that gets here I will try that. It better work, it's not easy taking it all apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.