93 Idi wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
93 Idi wont start

Hi

I have a 1993 F350 Crewcab Dually and it has 236K on it. It has trouble starting when the engine is not warm. Even with the engine warm it takes it awhile to get it started. I have replace the glow plugs and they are working. The light will stay on for about 10-15 seconds and then it starts clicking. It has new return lines with caps and orings. I have also placed a clear line to see any bubbles and there is nothing even after sitting all night. If you plug in the block heater, it still takes it awhile to start. It doesnt matter if its hot or cold outside. The starter seems to turn over nicely, it shows about 150-200 RPMS on the tach. The batteries seem to be fine to. I run waste motor oil and diesel but the problem started way before I i started running the oil. It has a new lift pump also.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check or change the glow plug relay. My 94 had the same problem with being on for 10-15 sec. After i changed it the light stays on now for 30+ seconds. Thats where I would start, and make sure all of your glow plugs are working as well.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have checked the relay but ill try to get a new as soon as possible. Where do you live in Harrisville, i live in slippery rock and i work in harrisville?
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live behind the Methodist Church by Gun World. I live in the culdesac that runs beside the park. My fiance drives the truck and she works in Slippery Rock. She works at the house across from Truevalue. The relay I think was like $80. It just looks like a starter relay to me.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea ive looked at the relay, and last night wheni went to leave I turned it on and the WTS went out and it took it a couple of seconds then the relay clicked like twice. I work a little bit up at Homisons Auto on Edna street.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool...I know exactly where that is. When you get the new relay get the Ford one. My one from advance took a crap and now im out $85. The Ford one costs that much anyways...Jerry Taylor has them in stock. When are you there? I may stop down next week sometime...Let me know.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you try taking the one back to advance and im a senior in high school so im not there alot during the week or im there some nights working late, if you see a white CC dually flat bed thats me
Old 02-20-2011, 02:58 PM

i was having a similar issue, on my 95, it is a psd but still close, the issue i was having was fuel related, the mechanical fuel pumps arm was worn down and was not pumping enough fuel, it was fine after i got it running, but it would not build enough pressure when cranking to fill the resivior. its a PITA to get to on my setup but im unsire about yours, if its easy enough just remove it and inspect the long arm coming out of it and see if it is worn down any, and if not reinstal, and your only out the time it took to inspect the pump, balso see if your HPOP is building the 350+ psi needed for the injectors to squirt. i am not familiar with the IDI but if there is any sence to what im sayibng, i hope it helps you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.