7.3L IDI fuel Heater - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 7.3L IDI fuel Heater

hey ya'll,
i have an 89 7.3 idi. currently changed the injectors then developed a leak on the top side of the fuel filter assmbly. i think it is in the heater assmbly. my question is this, do i have to remove the whole filter assmbly to dismantle? and also, how do i disconnect the wire that connects to the top of the heater? looks like it just pops off but it is very tight, and i'm worried if i try too hard it might break. so just checking that it doesn't have some clip i'm unaware of.
all the help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

got it fixed. he is up and running good now.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

mine just started to leak also - how did you repair it? how doesit come off? Mine seems to be loose and seeping fuel.....

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM

I ended up nearly breaking the plug on mine trying to get it off. its a PITA. I had a heck of a time finding new o rings for the heater (which was not working anyway) So... since i live in southern AZ and have no use for it i drilled out the hole and tapped it for pipe thread and plugged it. Been that way for quite a while. Truck has started no problem down to 25 degrees.

I should add that i tried to weld up the hole first and that was a disaster. Between the cast alu and the impregnated fuel in it. It was impossible.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think i am going to try and repair it - I talked to the international dealer locally and this whole thing falls into that gray area that Ford #$%$#% up after international sold them the motors...even though the housing has an international part number on it they are clueless as to it - so -

I am pulling it apart and pulling the heater - Intgernational will match up the fuel Orings - viton - and I will reassemble. It sucks that I have to take it apart and then go get the orings but thats the way it is i guess...

when I reassemble I will use some urethane sealer on the orings to ensure a leak-proof seal...what a dumb setup this is...

I am most concerned about getting the plug/cap off the heater - the plastic has gotten very hard and brittle - should be fun!!!!!

IF i break ANYTHING I am going to drill, tap and plug it like you did. I will install a shop light under the hood wired into the block heater circuit and put it right next to the fuel filter. When the block heater circuit is on the light bulb will go on and the heat from the incandecent bulb will warm the filter. I only use the heaters in my rig when the temps get below 25 degrees overnight. Here in NJ we do experience single didgit overnight temps so I do not want to bypass it totally without something to compensate for it.

bte - my truck is an old ambulance - sold the the US Government - it spent its entire life in West Point Military academy...I bought it with 42k on it for 8 grand - it was 17 yrs old. Its a 91 with just under 80k on it currently...

I will post a pic...

Than ks guys!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here she is!

I do not know how to start a gallery...

Its a high box, Wheeled Coach body. US Government owned, It was upgraded to a F-450 underneath. She weighs in at around 12,000 with all my gear onboard. She runs good but is a little underpowered. I added a bully dog propane unit but the gains are minimal and if it is HOT out i get a lot of pre-detonation pinging so I go not use it really in the summer.

Everything works, Lights, Sirens, A/C and Heat both in the cab and in the back...full intercomm, 3,000 watt onboard Inverter, Onboard 50amp Battery conditional and floater, this truck is rigged to work and it works hard!!!!

I am changing the stripes on the side to a dark green to match the lettering and I am going to paint the bead on the rims dark green to match....

Anyway - Have a great day everyone and thanks for providing such a valuable resource for us guys with older rigs....

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
7.3L IDI fuel Heater-100_8312.jpg  
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

man i just went and bought an O-ring set from autozone and found one that fit. worked great. taking it apart was a bit of a trick..
basically take of filter, then un bolt the housing from the mount. 2 bolts i think. turn it upside down and there is a big nut on the underside.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have 9 of the o rings if anyone needs some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.