Extremely hard to start cold!! ip timing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Extremely hard to start cold!! ip timing?

Hi guys, new member but not new to the site. I love this site and go to it every time I need a fix. I got mytruck in Feb of this year, and it was ok then, but now this winter it seems that its gonna be a headache. Im thnkin that my ip timing is retarded. like all m buddys marvel at how quiet my truck is compared to their idis. how exactly do i do it? and how much is too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know if your IP pump timing, sounds more like glow plugs I need to play with my pump some more. It was turned all the way to the passenger side and I turned it back a little and its a whole new truck. Its kinda noisey now so I'm going to ply with it a little more.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Serving Our Country!

How cold...and if you have a block heater try pplugging it in...my 6.0 starts hard below 30, but if I plug it in, it starts very easy.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Doesn't sound like ip timing it sounds like bad gp ... my idi has 2 bad gps and its hell trying to start it when it sits over night at 30 degrees or lower but to jump her off i pour a small amount of diesel in the intake and cycle the gps twice and hold the accelerator to the floor as i crank her up and she usually starts right up ..... I only do this because I'm in college right now and I'm living in an apartment and don't have a way of plugging it in so if ur stuck in a similar situation this method works and its safer than using ether
Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

i wonder if your cold advance is kicking in,the lever on the side of the ip was seized when i first got my idi. check the glow plug anyways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.