Have to Pull Start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Have to Pull Start!

I just recently bought a 91 F350 7.3l. The truck used to be auto but now is 4speed. I bought the truck b/c it wouldnt start and the gentlemen need something that would so i got a steal. When i brought it home i decided well ill pull start it and see if it starts. Fired right up and i drove it around let it idle for about 30min. i thought it wouldnt start b/c of gas leaks. There has been all new braided lines and gas tanks put on the truck with push style fittings and one fitting leaked along with a few leaks in the engine bay. After a few hours of changing lines, fixing leakes she was ready to go...i thought. Tryed to start wouldnt start. Figured its air. so i hit it with a mist of Ether and started right up. drove it let it idle for a while shut it off took a shower, tried to start it wouldnt start. went out this morning hit it with a mist of ether, wouldnt start. it just wont start. cranks and cranks till batt. go dead. Has new GP, Prime pump works. Tomo morning im going to pull start it. It im sure it will fire right up. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Park at the top of a hill.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well my driveways on a hill so thats exaclty what i thought about doing. Then i could never shut it off till i got home or parked on another hill
Old 11-26-2010, 05:43 PM
haters gonna hate 24/7.

what about the starter?? is it good??
Old 11-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea. It can crank 10sec at a time seems good to me. dont know how it could be better. I been on the forum for a few hours got some good links and such. im going to work on it all day tomo.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

kep us updated on what you find. I just bought an 88 f350. It wont start after setting at night, unless you mist alillte either to her. After the 1st start, she does good all day until you park it again at night. I belive that the check valve in the fuel filter head is bad and letting fuel drain back.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i will. One thing I have not tried is to get it running. Get it all nice and warm then shut it off and try to start it back up
Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 PM

IDI's are notorious for return lines leaking and allowing air to get into the system causing a hard start issue. You can pull the fuel filter off, if itsn't full then you have a return line leak. The leaks usually occur around the short lines between the injectors and under the plastic caps that go around each injector. They each have 2 o-rings that are prone to leaking. If that isn't the problem I would look at the starter. If it starts by pulling it the starter probably isn't turning it over fast enough to start.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Theres No gas leaks what so ever in the engine bay, under the truck, or near the gas tank. i took the bed off so you can really see everything. I put all new Gas lines on it yesterday. You think first thing in the morning i should pull that gas filter off before i prime it or start it ect? Weak batt. would cause it not to start also i would think.

Last edited by Ihurtf350; 11-26-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 PM

The leaks most commonly occur around the injectors. Yes, weak batteries could cause it not to start due to a slow crank issue, along with a weak starter. Starter could sound good but after switching to a new one you'd be amazed and how much faster the engine spins over. Also this is a diesel, so you might get used to saying diesel line/tanks etc. or fuel lines. Doesn't bother me but some people will get on you pretty good about it. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.