Fuel pump looks crooked, indexing marks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 04:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Fuel pump looks crooked, indexing marks?

I was looking into my leaky fuel line and noticed that the IP pump on the top of the motor looks ****ed to the passenger side. The pump I'm told is brand new from pensacoladiesel.
I see index marks on the motor and on the pump.
say at the top 12 o'clock is one on the motor but its way off on the pump.
The next one I can see is at 3 o'clock and and its about a fingernail width off but can not be adjusted any further.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda scared to touch it lol. Anyone have any idea what marks are what?

FYI: I love this truck, this truck does not love me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntryquesttsi View Post
I was looking into my leaky fuel line and noticed that the IP pump on the top of the motor looks ****ed to the passenger side. The pump I'm told is brand new from pensacoladiesel.
I see index marks on the motor and on the pump.
say at the top 12 o'clock is one on the motor but its way off on the pump.
The next one I can see is at 3 o'clock and and its about a fingernail width off but can not be adjusted any further.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda scared to touch it lol. Anyone have any idea what marks are what?

FYI: I love this truck, this truck does not love me.
the pump rotated towards the passenger side means it's advanced. As the pumps age their timing retards so rotating it advanced offsets that. Now a dimes width is a couple degrees, so if it's that far it would normally run.

That tells me whoever put the pump on last skipped a gear tooth while replacing it. To offset ut they had to rotate the pump that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.