Multiple issues 7.3 turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Multiple issues 7.3 turbo

Hey everyone my brother just bought a 94 7.3 turbo diesel non powerstroke, Went and looked at it everything seemed ok ran fine until we got it home. Once started and idling it idles real rough and then will smooth out for a bit and idle back rough even when driving and being warm. Another issue is you can be on the throttle and the rpms will randomly jump like the throttle is being hit harder not like the trans is slipping. Seems to me like its a fuel issue but im not to sure where to start other then changing the fuel filter and getting fresh fuel in it. I currently own a 97 powerstroke and have basic diesel knowledge and am mechanically inclined, Any help is appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 PM

The throttle surging is air intrusion. probably the cause for the rough idle.
Couple things to check. First, make sure the tank is full. The lower portion of the pickup tube is plastic and prone to cracking and/or breaking. Mine did this.
Second thing to check is the return line caps, orings and rubber lines. They are on top of the injectors and all connect together with the rubber lines. If you look around on here you will find numerous write ups on replacing these. Its something i recommend you do no matter what. Its good piece of mind.
Third is to check the fuel filter for leaks. dont forget to check the spin on cap on the bottom of the filter if you have that style filter.
Last is to check the fuel heater for leaks. Its located in the top of the fuel filter housing. It has a wire connector attached that is a mother to get off.
My bet is on the return lines. Almost put money on it.
BTW NAPA wants almost $100 for the return line kit. I found it HERE for somewhere in the $25 range. Good luck

Last edited by shaggy10000; 11-01-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the response I did some searching and found several write ups it seems straight forward, I looked into the truck more to find a small hole in the side of the number 4 injector and its squirting fuel out so were going to replace that return lines look ok but I will replace them too TPS voltage checks out also
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 AM

HOLY CODES BATMAN! its throwing 10 codes 14 23 26 36 43 44 62 63 65 and 74
Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Codes? Basically the only codes that can be thrown are for an E4OD tranny.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Thats what I thought and he is having alot of issues with the E40D its in limp mode and lost overdrive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.