rpm rev up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rpm rev up

I have a 1990 f250 7.3 idi with an e4od trans in it and every time I am just cruising at 40 to 60 mph the rpms rev up and down until i give it more gas or let off the peddle. I work as an advisor at the Ford dealership hear in town and one of the old time techs said it might be the fipple sensor, so we tested it and that was not it... Any ideas on what it might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

FIPL-Fuel Injection Pump Lever

What is happening most likely is your torque converter (TC) is locking and unlocking at speed. It only happens above 40 because thats when its on.

Some courses of action would be to ensure that the grounds in your tail lights are connected and ensure that your interior light and cargo light are grounded properly. This may sound funny but these transmissions are fairly picky.

Another course of action would be to ensure all the connection on the transmission are seated fully and not corroded.

Hopes this helps. DO NOT go and get your TC replaced. It is most likely something else that is causing this. You may need a TC but fix the current problem first and then have it replaced. I made that $700 mistake once.....

I ended up wiring a switch that grounded out the curcuit and kept the TC locked while at speed. Not the preferred method but it worked.

Thad
Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Thad... Yeah I noticed when it started doing that is when my trailer brake setup quit working and my passenger side brake light quit working, the turn signal and running light still work so I know its a wire issue because the turn runs off the brake filament. There is also a TSB on a connection near the trans that is well known for getting moisture in it and corroding causing similar situations I am having... Electrical!!! Yippee.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well it sounds like you and a multi meter are going to spending quite a bit of time together! HAve fun and dont get too frustrated with her!

Thad
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah lots of fun. Glad I have the week off for vacation.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question RPM up and down

I know it's been awhile since you guys posted. My 1990 F350 7.3 duly 175,000 miles just started doing this same thing. Driving me nuts. My Trailer brake controler has started to act up also. Can you tell me what you found on the problem with yours. That's my truck with a little snow in Virginia Beach, VA
Attached Thumbnails
rpm rev up-p2100006.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.