Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

installing new filter system and electric fuel pump

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  al88 
#1 ·
I have a 1988 F-250 4x4 with 7.3L. For a couple reasons (1 of which is I destroyed the fuel heater sensor getting it off) I'm going to remove my mechanical fuel pump and stock filter system and replace it with the system below. I can't see spending $120 for the new sensor and then still have it leak. Which is a distinct possibility from what I've read.

After the fuel selector switch I will install a fuel filter such as a Napa 3270 or equivalent. After that I'll use an electric fuel pump. After some extensive research I'm going to use a Facet 40107 electric fuel pump. Specs are 7-10 psi, 38 gph, 12" max dry lift. It's only 18 oz and 3" and about $40 from this online store. I thought about the dura-lift pumps but they are over 2 times as much and I'm going to use it back near the fuel tank anyway. I'll wire the Facet so it will only run when the ignition key is on.

I'll use the stock fuel line up to the engine compartment. I'll remove the mechanical pump and block it with the big block chevy fuel pump cover. I'll use fuel injection hose from there to a Racor 445R (hoping to mount it with an adapter on the old stock fuel filter mounting bracket). The Racor will have the fuel heating element and water detection probe. Then I'll use fuel injection hose to the old line to the injection pump.

A couple of questions. I'm assuming I can block off the old return line that used to go to the stock filter. That way excess fuel will just run back to the tank. I'm also assuming I can use the old wires to connect the fuel heater and water detection probe. Anything else that I might have missed? I'm still in the planning stages so any changes/additions are still possible.

Thanks to those who have posted questions/answers about these issues. I've done quite a bit of research and most of the answers I came up with came from various diesel forums. This one included.

See less See more
#2 ·
How did the old one get damaged? Mine was a beast to remove but man yours must have been down right difficult.

Someone may be along shortly but this section gets few views.......

#3 ·
It did. That brass fitting the fuel filter spins onto got pretty thrashed. The wrench I was using kept slipping off and rounded the edges. I ended up using vice grips and a pipe wrench to get it off. It did not want to move at all. I thought maybe it was a reverse thread or something. But it wasn't. It finally started moving a little bit but it was a struggle to get it off. Looked like there was some sort of sealing compound on the threads. It worked. I could have re-used that part as the nut part was the only part messed up. It was the fuel sensor itself that made me worried. Spend $120s bucks on the sensor and the o-rings don't seal would be my luck. Then I'm out the $120. Might as well put that to something I know will work as soon as I turn the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.