Top of fuel filter bracket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Top of fuel filter bracket

I have a 1988 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3L diesel. On the top of the bracket that holds the fuel filter is a wired connector. It's on the top left of the bracket as you are looking at the engine. When the engine is running it has diesel fuel coming out of it. Not a lot but a pretty steady drip. My problem is how do you take that off? I tried lightly prying on it but it doesn't want to pop up as if it had a post it fit on. I've removed the filter and unbolted the bracket. The only thing left was the connected wire. I was hoping there was a nut on the other side with a bad gasket. All I see is a big brass looking nut (which doesn't want to turn) and nothing on the other side of that connecter I can see.

I've been having trouble in the truck not starting up if it sits for more than a day so I thought maybe that was a leak that was causing it. Just don't know how to stop that from leaking. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

There is a gasket under that connection. You are heading in the proper direction. You have to remove the filter and then remove the threading that the filter screws into. Once that drops you will have access to the o-ring that is bad.

Good Luck

Thad
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I love my truck and it's been frustrating in it not starting!!! That was a beautiful truck btw!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 PM

Did you get it fixed? Note that the o ring is that you need to replace is sorta square....forgot that last night in the haze that was my thinking process.

And thanks.....I miss that rig tons!!! Oh well.

Thad
Old 07-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, that wasn't fun. that filter holder piece was on there. I think I messed up that little silver looking pressure switch trying to get it out. Can you order those? Probably from Ford?

BTW the O-ring was round. I'd know how to get it out now. :>)
Old 07-31-2010, 01:47 PM

Really I wonder if yours was different due to it being an 88? Glad you got is worked out!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I figured everything out. I'll have to order the fuel heater which is a $107 messup. But live and learn. And I found out there are 2 o-rings on there as well. 1 that is on the actual fuel heater and 1 that is on the plastic piece that the wired cap goes onto. I didn't see any sorta square o-ring. The only thing sorta square is the wired cap. Is there an o-ring inside of that cap as well?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i am trying to do the same thing and change the orings. any way you can tell me exactly how you got the heater connection off so i don't vmake the same mistake you did. thanks in advanced. bulldog
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I get it figured out. The connector on the top was just a pain to remove. Connector has been changed to something easier to remove next time.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog7769 View Post
I get it figured out. The connector on the top was just a pain to remove. Connector has been changed to something easier to remove next time.
Good idea! There are some o-rings inside the filter itself if that doesn't stop the leaking. And that is where I messed up. Let me know if you need any more info. I'll check this more frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.