Newbie OVERHEATING- please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie OVERHEATING- please help

I have a 93 F-350 7.3 non turbo. I just bought this thing a couple of weeks ago and had a problem, replaced injector #1 and now water temp is overheating. I have checked the fluid level and it's good, I have checked the top hose and water is flowing so I think the thermostat is working. I don't have any leaks on anything. The oil pressure is good with no leaks, oil temp is good. I don't know what else to do or what to check, this is my only vehicle and need it badly.

Any help is thanked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you have this problem befor ethe injector replacement. I am assuming no.

When is it overheating? Idle, cruising or highway driving? Are you running the AC and not before? Do you hear the fan clutch engaging? What did you do to check the top hose?

Answers to these questions will help narrow the issue down......I had a overheating problem and it was a pain so I am definately here for you!!!!

Thad
Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did not have this problem before the injector replacement.

Overheating when the A/C is running in about 10-15 min at idle. No A/C at idle after 30 min it is in normal range. The fan is steady running with the motor but I have not heard anything engaging (not sure what it would sound like so I don't know if ever has disengaged). I felt of the top hose and it is very hot.

When it overheats, it will steam from the radiator cap and the overflow reservoir. Fluid is transfering between the two.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 6.9 is havin the same problem. in fact, i just got back from gettin a new thermostat, thats all i can think of as of rite now. keep us posted on this, thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is all that I can come up with also. I am going to try and get it home and see if I can get a thermostat for mine. Let us know how yours works out.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:04 PM

What is the temperature reading on the guage?

I would think the injector replacement is not the cause.

You need to verify that the thermostat is opening. If not obviously replace it and go from there.

The fan is loud when it is operating so maybe your fan isnt working? There are many ways to ensure the fan clutch is working......try a google search......

When I had cooling issues I replaced everything in the cooling system and ended up being the radiator was plugging up.......

Thad
Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So far, at idle it take a long time to overheat but with a load of driving and no A/C it will take about 8-10 miles before it is overheating. The temp gauge works it way up to the red line. I check to see if I had any movement in the fan clutch and it was solid, I check to if the weep hole had any water but I found nothing so that would mean that it is most likely not the bearing. I sqeeze the top hose with the motor running and it has pressure on it but I don't feel the water pressure that I thought I would like if you sqeeze a water hose.

I am going to flush the radiator and replace the thermostat and see what happens from there. I will keep you guys posted.

By the way, my wife say's thank you for all of your help.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 AM

It almost sounds like there is a restriction or reduced flow (maybe the thermostat is not functioning properly) or you need a new radiator because its clogged.

FYI, I flushed mine with everything under the sun and I ended up having to replace it.

Keep us posted!!!! I am eager to hear what your results are.

The nice thing is that the cooling system is somewhat simple.....

Thad
Old 06-16-2010, 09:16 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dont drive the thing if its overheating. Thats got warped heads written all over it.

If the thermostate is not a motorcraft of international one, toss it. A lot of the "over the counter" thermostats have been known to not function properly. Its not the area to skimp money wise.

You should hear the fan going if its heated up real good. Will sound like another motor is going. Fan clutch might be going out though.....
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was able to fix my old 5.8 that had the same problem simply as you said by replacing the thermostat. I spent $500+ getting it looked at only to find out that for some reason when i changed thermostat's it worked. that's what i'd go for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.