Turbo ?s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo ?s

I have a 1990 f250 7.3 diesel 5 speed and wondering how these trucks run after adding a turbo i would really like to add turbo and will probly just do all the fab work myself. What differences did u notice and is it worth the money. Power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 PM

Dood

A turbo is the single best thing you can do to help an IDI engine. I tell everyone that will listen to get a turbo for their IDI. Its money well spent if you tow or live in an area that has more terrain than Kansas. Now you cant expect it to compete with your 2001 Powerstrokes but it will still get up and move.

My IDI came into my life as a naturally aspirated engine. I drove it around without much of a problem until I drove into the mountains. My wife was along on that trip and afterwards she mandated that we get a turbo!

I installed a used Banks kit and installed it over my Christmas leave. I then turned around a drove 3000+ miles on it. It is night and day......you will love the performance gained.

Personally, I would go with Hypermax due to the rave reviews of their customers service. The big option is whether to get a wastegated or non-wastegated system. A wastegated system will build more boost at lower speeds while a non-wastegated system will build boost continuously with the RPMs.

If you have any questions just shoot them at me. I will try to put my limited knowledge to good use.

Thad
Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajeep View Post
Dood

If you have any questions just shoot them at me. I will try to put my limited knowledge to good use.

Thad

I just joined this site, but have been reading up on lots of info. My question is how did you address the CDR on your IDI?

I installed a garret turbo using factory parts, even the valve covers, so now I need to route the CDR somehow, just trying to figure out the best solution.

My initial plan was a simple breather filter. But that may not be sufficent to remove all the pressure, I have been told it requires the vacuum of the intake. I thought routing into the intake was just for emissions??

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 AM

Mine must have been setup different since I did not have to change valve covers.......I will look to see if I have any pics of my setup. Its been gone for a few months and I have a different computer with me here in the desert.......

Thad

Last edited by dakotajeep; 05-28-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The CDR before turbo was routed to the back of the intake manifold on passenger side.

The factory turbo bracket blocks this port off, and has the CDR on the driver valve cover, I was told it runs to the dirty side of the air filter in the factory air box (which I do not have).

My plan was a simple air breather filter, but this thing puffs smoke pretty good, and I was told that it needed the vacuum of intake.

I have an aluminum cold air intake tube with cone filter installed directly to the turbo. Still trying it figure out an intercooler set up.

I hate to install a factory air box, I thought about putting a box around my cone filter and laying the CDR tube with breather filter inside the box.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM

Alright thanks and yea i dont expect it to keep up with my powerstroke but just be a good all around truck heck just the mpg i get is enough to keep me happy well for now... and i just really miss the turbo whistle on this truck lol
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM

If you treat it nice it will last forever......I really miss mine!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM

We had the kits for the IDI's and they were phenominal... however one of the parts was made by someone else and they discontinued that part so our kit was discontinued and we are redesigning it right now... we are about 4 months from having the new kits out there, but they are going to be awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.