Diesel Newbie needs help on 1993 F250 XLT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Newbie needs help on 1993 F250 XLT

Hello everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a 1993 F250XLT extra cab with the 7.3L non turbo diesel. This is my first truck and I am looking to pull a 1978 33' Silver Streak Trailer (approx weight 8,000lbs fully loaded) around the west coast (Oregon, Washington and California) The PO is asking $3800.

This vehicle has the following:
250,000 miles on the 7.3 Litre Diesel non-turbo
New Transmission (20,000 miles)
Class 5 hitch
Borg Warner front end
new hoses on cooling system
New fuel pump
New vaccum pump
New water pump
Windshield cracked: needs replacing
Tires are shot
Shocks in good shape.
Brakes at 40% (Will need to replace soon)
3/4 ton chasis with 1 ton suspension
Transmission cooler/radiator
a/c fully charged and functioning
all lights and blinkers etc work
Good maintenance. Oil changed every 3,000 miles
Big brakes with electronic assist on trailer (control in cab)
Body is straight with a few dings and dents but looks strong. consistent with age.
Interior is o.k. considering age of truck. (cracked dash)

Drives great. Engine sounds good. Brakes work well.

My questions are these:

1. How many miles can I expect to run this engine relatively trouble free before needing to invest in a new engine? I realize it is an open question depending on many factors but the vehicle seems to have been well maintained (oil change every 3,000-5,000 miles - the first transmission lasted 230,000 miles so that tells me the PO was doing something right on maintenance. It was a work truck mostly highway miles, only towed a small 10' tool trailer) How long will this engine run if properly maintained?

2. Is this the best rig for my uses within my budget? My budget is already stretched at $3500. I wouldn't need you guys if I had $15k to drop on a newer Diesel so I am trying to find the best rig within my price range. I was looking at the 460 Gas F250's but the diesels-even with higher mileage- seem to be a better option long term....?

Am I better off with a higher mileage 7.3L non turbo or an earlier 460 gas with lower mileage?

Any comments ideas or concerns about this vehicle would be much appreciated. As I mentioned it is my first time looking at these trucks so I am a bit of a blank slate...

Thanks for looking and I look forward to your replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Diesel Newbie needs help on 1993 F250 XLT-windmill-20-201978-20silver-20streek-20-2-20002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sounds like a good truck to me but i'd get the KBB value on it. 460's suck fuel like no other. the 7.3 definitely will not be a powerhouse but it will do what you want it to.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

for the price the deal sounds pretty rock solid. i have not owned a non turbo diesel tho..

i did have a 90 QC dually with a 460, was a great truck but is not for todays gas prices at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know when people hear NEW this New that it can sound very good..
but with those parts it also means some other will be needing replacing soon seeing as how the truck is 17 years old alot of the factory rubber is becoming very brittle hence the vacume pump water pump and so on..

i drove my bosses 95 to texas and back 4 times last year and the vacume pump went along with coolant hose. some sensor on rear axle,,

basicly this trucks engine long block willget you a million miles... just dont be suprised if everyonce in a while you have to break out 1-600 bucks on a part that wasnt built to go 250k miles over a 20 year life span..(my 40 year old truck knows this.. trust me)

i would ask the guy if you could hook the truck to the trailer for a test drive. 8k isnt alot but its a whole lot of the truck struggles to speed up or slow down.. and it will put the tranny to the test for sure.

Last edited by Soot_Life; 05-08-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:20 PM

First off, I just sold my 94 so I have actual experience with these rigs.

1. That engine is good for many miles. Anything over where its at now is just a guessing game. The routine things to replace are going to be: Injector pump, injectors, return lines and glow plugs. Otherwise it will be normal 250,000 mile issues as mentioned above.

2. You might want to shop around for a 7.3 with a turbo. Turbo IDI's are going to be a more powerful rig for towing. Not that this rig cant do it without a turbo but it will be slow with a load.

Cons: You wont win any speed records with that pickup. Its not going to pull large hills or mountains at speed (its sounds like you are going to be doing this alot). I pulled with my truck once without a turbo. As soon as I returned I had a turbo paid for and enroute to my house. I am not rich either but it sucks pulling with those rigs without a turbo unless you dont mind going 45 up hills.
Pros: Cheap, easy to maintain, minimal electronics, and fuel options can range to biodiesel and waste motor/trans fluid very easily. I ran alot of waste motor oil through my truck with no issues.

Personally, I think you could do better for the price and mileage. I would wait for a turbo'ed 7.3 to come along.

My .02

Thad

Last edited by dakotajeep; 05-16-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Dakota,

That's just what I was looking for. I did wait on that rig, and have expanded my search a bit. I am currently looking for a '94-'97 F350 crew cab with the powerstroke. (Any thoughts or opinions?

I have run across 1 or 2 non-turbo's with a bates aftermarket turbo on them.

What's your opinion of the aftermarket turbo's? As good a set up as Powerstroke?

What's the gas mileage compare between a f250 extra cab and a f350 crew cab? Much difference? they would both get the job done.

Cheers,
Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM

I have no experience with the 94-97 Strokes but they are supposed to be good rigs. I almost bought one but the deal seemed sketchy to me so I avoided it......From what I have heard a turbo'ed IDI will hold its own with an unmodified 1st gen Powerstroke.

I would stick with the F350 (if you are getting a 4x4) since you then have the Dana 60 up front.

These rigs are heavy. Fuel economy is going to be dependant on gearing (either 3.55 or 4.10). MAny guys swear they get 17,pg plus out of their IDI's but thats just hearsay. I got 15.5 out of mine but it was a huge truck. There arent many diffences between the F250 and F350 besides the front axles and the F350 has a four inch block in the rear. Otherwise they are very similiar.

If I could a have a rig for pulling it would be an 1993or 94 7.3 Turbo (Hypermax) IDI Crew cab 4x4 with 4.10's and a 5 speed.

But thats just me.

Thad

Last edited by dakotajeep; 05-16-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Little off topic but my dream IDI pull rig would be a crew cab F450 (hydroboost!!!!!) with a slightly worked over turbo IDI, with intercooler. Behind that would be a ZF-5 speed, and then a BW1356 transfer case. Up front a Dana 60 with locker, and Dana ??? in the rear. 5.13 gears to pull some big loads. Would need a GV overdrive to get rpm's down and to find better gears for certain speeds (keep rpm's in the sweet spot).

As far as questions. I have seen IDI's fail in 50,000 miles, and I know of several people that got well over 500,000 miles out of them. Change the oil, and keep the SCA's up and you should be golden.

To be honest the 460 will pull better. But with that comes a truck that will get HORRIBLE fuel milage. The worse fuel milage I've ever heard an IDI get was something like 8mpg...and that was loaded real heavy. It would be hard for a 460 truck to get that with a small trailer.

If you buy this truck, remember, when pulling grades dont be affraid to hold it WOT with rpm's at the govenor, they were designed to do that for many hours.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
If you buy this truck, remember, when pulling grades dont be affraid to hold it WOT with rpm's at the govenor, they were designed to do that for many hours.
I totally agree with everything you said....

Yeah, he said he passed on this particular truck.....BUT to run WOT he should have a EGT gauge installed to ensure temps are within range....just trying to help.

Thad
Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Guys,

What are your thoughts on the aftermarket turbos on the 93-94? I have seen a couple with a banks turbo. How does this set up compare with a 94-97 first gen powerstroke?

What is the best brand of turbo for this conversion?

cheers,
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM

Again, I would go with Hypermax.....they are all going to be very close.....the big difference is Wastegated or non wastegated.....

Thad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.