1990 E350 Ambulance w/7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1990 E350 Ambulance w/7.3

I teach auto mechanics @ a community college. Rec'd a donation of an older Ford ambulance, 7.3 auto. previous instructor said not run in awhile but needed to by pass glo-plug relay to start. Seems I've heard of these problems before on the old Fords. Students are on spring break, I don't have access to my usual aldata etc. Need to get this thing running to rearange the yard. Can anyone advise what the quick/easy version of this fix is to make this work temporarily? I'm going to jump start this thing with 2 sets of cables from a big diesel truck with 4 batteries. Spray w/start fluid? I don't want to destroy anything, just get it running to move it around (by myself)
Thx Steve (sorry guys I identified the engine size wrong the 1st time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to james7977
use wd40 not starting fluid and u should be good
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The glow plug relay is at the back of the intake manifold. If the glow plugs are still good and relay is bad, take a 12 gauge wire from a positive side of a battery (just hold it there), and hold it to the terminal with the small white wire. You should hear it click. Hold it on for about 8-10 seconds, and either have somebody crank it, or take the 12 gauge wire off and run inside and crank.

If the glow plugs are shot, plug it in. Wait a couple hours. Should fire off if temps arent too bad.

Or you can try starting fluid. If so, disconnect small white wire on glow plug relay, that makes the glowplugs inoperable. Give it a SMALL shot of starting fluid. Be smart about it. Then crank, should roar to life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.