New to IDI - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to IDI

Hey guys some of u might know me I have been on the .org awhile now ,I had a '97 F250 powerstroke that burned up (and burned my house down)in Feb., WELL now Iam looking at a 1990 F250 ext. cab 7.3L IDI , I basically know NOTHING about the IDI's and what you can do with them. Can you turn the pump up like on a common rail cummins? how hard is it to drop a turbo and intercooler on 1? do they have performance injectors for a IDI like a powerstroke?? these r just some of the questions going through my head. ANY info is welcome, thanks.

The truck.
1990 f250
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks like i nice truck!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Emergency Services

I think so
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You can turn the fuel up. But I heard it can lead to head gasket failures.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Yes you can turn up the fuel like a p-pumped cummins, but the Stanadyne pump is fairly weak, so you wont see a crazy gain in power.
Since these trucks are IDIs and fuel goes through a swirl chamber they just dont have the same high-power potential as Direct Injection engines have.
Turbo kits are a bit pricey and they only give you about 10psi of boost.
I dont know of anyone who sells of has installed an intercooler on an IDI, but i'd imagine you'd have to fab up your own pipes.
The IDI will never be able to run with an OBS PSD, but it will make a strong reliable truck. Plus the 7.3l IDIs sound mean straight piped without a turbo.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Beast View Post
Yes you can turn up the fuel like a p-pumped cummins, but the Stanadyne pump is fairly weak, so you wont see a crazy gain in power.Do they have after market high flow pumps?
Since these trucks are IDIs and fuel goes through a swirl chamber they just dont have the same high-power potential as Direct Injection engines have.
Turbo kits are a bit pricey and they only give you about 10psi of boost.really?? I'm pretty good at fabing stuff ,they dont have a convesersion kit to put a D66 or stock 7.3L DI turbo on a IDI? the banks kit only gives 10 psi?
I dont know of anyone who sells of has installed an intercooler on an IDI, but i'd imagine you'd have to fab up your own pipes. could be done though right?
The IDI will never be able to run with an OBS PSD, but it will make a strong reliable truck. Plus the 7.3l IDIs sound mean straight piped without a turbo.
Badazz,thats what I want ,that deep low drone like a cummins
Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 PM

I absolutely loved my IDI, and wish I could have found a nicer one when I was looking, I'da bought another IDI before my stroke.......You can turn up the pumps, get some bigger injectors and slap a banks ( i know) or ATS turbo kit, and you'll have a strong truck. IMHO, i'd go NA and run fuel only...... My old IDI had much more bottom end grunt than my stroke.....power right off idle, no spool up needed. I miss my 93....
Old 03-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
I absolutely loved my IDI, and wish I could have found a nicer one when I was looking, I'da bought another IDI before my stroke.......You can turn up the pumps, get some bigger injectors and slap a banks ( i know) or ATS turbo kit, and you'll have a strong truck. IMHO, i'd go NA and run fuel only...... My old IDI had much more bottom end grunt than my stroke.....power right off idle, no spool up needed. I miss my 93....
So you wouldnt drop a turbo on it? hmmmm, what'd it sound like? I dont think I have ever really heard a IDI
Old 03-14-2010, 02:50 PM

I love the way my IDI sounded, straight piped was awesome.....and I love the simplicity of them.......and me personally, no I wouldn't drop a turbo on it.......I like the throttle response of N/A engines.....
Old 03-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
I love the way my IDI sounded, straight piped was awesome.....and I love the simplicity of them.......and me personally, no I wouldn't drop a turbo on it.......I like the throttle response of N/A engines.....
so it was quicker throttle response without a turbo? what about pulling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.