Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Start Issues

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  yoshie34 
#1 ·
My truck started clicking when I turning the ignition on. I replaced the solenoid on the fender panel and that didnt fix it. Then I replaced the starter. The truck started, I took it around the block, got home, turned it off, tried to restart it, and it clicked again. Then I turned it off and on letting it click several times and the third time, it turned over. Its almost like when there is corrosion or a loose battery terminal, BUT, in that case the fan, radio, etc. also goes dead. In my case, they keep working. I guess the good news is that I wont have to worry about replacing the starter anytime soon! Any ideas of what this might me? If it was the switch in the steering column, I wouldn't hear the click up front, right?

#2 ·
Have you load tested your batteries?

#4 ·
I assume this is a diesel truck with were you are posting, but if it's clicking multiple times when you put the truck to the on position it means you have multiple burnt out glowplugs. My truck has two dead glowplugs right now and if I turn the key on it still goes through the wait to start cycle and when the wait to start light shuts off I can hear a series of clicks. So Dead glow plugs or glow plug relay solenoid problem. If your wait to start light blinks while cycling I believe it means 3 or more are dead and it doesn't actually cycle your glowplugs. (I had this going on when I originally bought the truck. 6 dead glow plugs after I tested them.)

Hope this helps!

#5 ·
Actually, it is only 1 click. Sorry, I think I confused it all but I actually bumped the key forward and back 3 times making it click three times. Then, the starter engaged on the last one. It's really odd. As far as glow plugs, I replaced them several years ago. I'm really fortunate because this truck fires really fast no matter how cold it is outside. (Over 300,000 miles on it!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.